Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:37 AM   #1

Share |

Pressure Treated vs. Cedar Posts for Porch

Hello,

I need suggestions please. My husband and I are building a new home in NJ. The house has a wrap-around porch. Originally, the builder was going to use pressure treated posts but has since changed his mind and wants us to go with cedar. We've been spending a lot of $$ on extras to the interior. We are wondering if the additional expense for cedar is worth it or will the pressure treated be okay?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any suggestions and/or thoughts on this.
missyz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Properly treated pressure-treated wood manufactured by a reputable company (Weyerhaeuser, G-P, etc.) comes with a 50-year limited warranty, and cedar doesn't AND will not last as long.
Decking choice is one thing, foundation structure is another. Your call.
Make certain that your contractor is using p-t wood that has the proper treatment level for in-ground use, if you go that way.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:16 AM   #3

Thanks Mike. The porch is cement - we did go that route so the wood is not actually going into the ground. I'll check with the builder on the PT and how it was treated, manufacturer, etc. I was going to attach a picture but the one I have is too big.

Thanks again!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #4

Can't he "wrap" a PT post with cedar? Best of both worlds...
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #5

Interesting - Okay - you'll have to explain to me what that means so I can ask the builder. Unfortunately, my husband is a finance guy and I'm the "man" of the family so to speak
Old 11-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyz17 View Post
Interesting - Okay - you'll have to explain to me what that means so I can ask the builder. Unfortunately, my husband is a finance guy and I'm the "man" of the family so to speak
What he meant was using a PT post and encase with cedar veneer boards. Cedar looks better as it ages, but PT does not. I think if you're talking about posts, you can stick with PT and just use a resin post shell. Cedar is really high end and nice.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #7

Thanks Handy....that helps. Part of our concern is that we've been upgrading so many other things, should we go with the upgraded posts? Cedar is so much more expensive than the pressure treated but cedar also looks nicer from what I can tell. I was able to get a picture of the house to the correct size to post - what are your thoughts on the posts and rail around the porch? Its a victorian style house - should we pay the extra $$$ (if it were you)? Thanks again for your input.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
Long-Time DIYer

If it were me, I would use p-t posts anchored to the concrete with cedar boards nailed onto them similar to a boxed beam.
We have p-t 4X4 posts anchored on our porches with Atlantic white cedar nailed over them. Look great!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyz17 View Post
Thanks Handy....that helps. Part of our concern is that we've been upgrading so many other things, should we go with the upgraded posts? Cedar is so much more expensive than the pressure treated but cedar also looks nicer from what I can tell. I was able to get a picture of the house to the correct size to post - what are your thoughts on the posts and rail around the porch? Its a victorian style house - should we pay the extra $$$ (if it were you)? Thanks again for your input.
If you decide to use PT posts, they should definitely be covered up. Given that, I think using cedar, whether as veneer or as solid posts, makes the house look more upscale. It's the little things, the details, that make the house special. People who visit your house will see it before they even walk in the house. So, your choices are the following:

1) Solid Cedar posts
2) PT post with Cedar veneer
3) PT post with stone veneer
4) PT post with Resin casing
5) PT post

If it were me, I would go with 1, 2, or 3.

Are you going with siding for the house? What will be the material for the porch? Looks like concrete now. Maybe slate?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #10

You guys are awesome! I'm checking with the builder and will let you know which way we go. Appreciate all the assistance!!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #11
Custom Cabinet Maker

Which ever posts you use DO NOT JUST PLACE THEM ON DIRECT CONTACT TO THE CEMENT. USE THE STANDOFF BASES MADE FOR POSTS. They are cast aluminum plates with 4 little feet and they screw into the bottoms of the posts.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Which ever posts you use DO NOT JUST PLACE THEM ON DIRECT CONTACT TO THE CEMENT. USE THE STANDOFF BASES MADE FOR POSTS. They are cast aluminum plates with 4 little feet and they screw into the bottoms of the posts.
Builders typically put a piece of PT wood as offset.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #13
Custom Cabinet Maker

Builders sometimes too cheap to pay for their own funerals. I know what you say is true however damn standoffs are less than 10 bucks
Old 11-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #14

LOL guys - wish I really understood what you are talking about - the builder likes the idea of PT wrapped in Cedar because....(see below)....am I still okay?

Nancy

Send an e-mail to Michele.

We like the idea of wrapping the pressure treated columns with 1 x 8 cedar.

This actually will cost us a little more-but we will be able to conceal some hangers (hardware needed for the installation) and conceal the column feet (this is what the columns sit on).

I would be willing to do this installation for the same costs that we quoted to her for the cedar columns.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #15
Custom Cabinet Maker

missy; What the builder is doing is GREAT. I would do the same on my own home. Only small detail I would add is if you can get him to use stainless nails, even if you have to go and buy them they are well worth it in this application. A normal galvanized fastner in cedar will stain from the weather and rain. Stainless will not. Your builder seems to have a very very rare case of " I really care", sad to say but time will cure this rare disease. Looks like you are building in South Jersey whereas I am in northwest corner.
Jack