Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #1

Share |

Pressure Treated Redwood ???

I was picking up a couple of things at the local Lowes, and noticed that they had some decking that was being called "Pressure Treated Redwood". Sounds indestructible, but when I got home and did a Google search on the stuff, I found pretty much nothing. Anybody ever heard of this stuff or used it ?

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:22 AM   #2

I think I have seen this at my Lowes (SF Bay area) too but can't remember. It seems like overkill. For example my local code says that any lumber having ground contact must be EITHER pressure treated or Redwood/Cedar. Also redwood is so good looking by itself, why wreck it with PT. I have heart redwood posts in my backyard that are 40 years old and only minimally rotted underground.

juryduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:36 AM   #3

if they stock it, that only means someone talk'd a buyer into buying it OR they've had rqsts,,, have noted that once someone buys anything from the apron/vest stores, you usually see it in other yards shortly,,,nevertheless, someone's buying the stuff o'kill to me but, evidently, not to the others remember p t barnum said ' there's 1 born every minute '

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:56 AM   #4
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Anybody ever heard of this stuff or used it ?
Never heard of it. I have seen what their calling “Cedar Tone” PT that’s colored to supposedly look like Cedar. When you glance at the tag “Cedar” is the word that pops, even though it’s just Pine.

It wouldn't surprise my if they tried that same trick with “Redwood”.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
It wouldn't surprise my if they tried that same trick with “Redwood”.
I was thinking the same thing. It was not particularly good looking lumber. It had crossed my mind that it could be pine or other cheaper lumber that had been "pressure treated" with red pigment.

Last edited by SPS-1; 12-31-2012 at 07:05 AM.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #6

Such a product would be a criminal waste of redwood. Totally unnecessary. I grew up a bit north of where juryduty lives, and everybody's fences were built of redwood. We coated the bottom portion of the posts with creosote, but even that was likely unnecessary. My parents' fence lasted more than 40 years.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #7

The thing you have to remember about redwood or cedar is that only the heart wood is resistant to rot,the sapwood which is plentiful will rot like any other species of wood,so be careful what you buy,and you will pay a premium for heart wood of either species.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
remodeling pro

I have never heard of PT redwood. First, if it is quality (meaning heart) it does not need to be treated to resist decay, and secondly the structure of the pores in redwood is such that it does not accept treatment well.

Sounds like another marketing name gimmick. Like "phillipine mahogany', which is a species called meranti, and has no relationship to mahogany at all. Heed the previous poster"s advice about material containing a lot of sapwood, it will rot faster than a piece of raw pine.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 01-06-2013 at 03:37 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote