DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   Pressure Treated Lumber for Basement? (

mfleming 06-17-2008 01:53 PM

Pressure Treated Lumber for Basement?
Is pressure treated lumber really needed for a bottom plate? I'm wanting to create a curved wall which I will do the top/bottom plates out of 3/4" plywood. Not sure if Home Depot/Rona has 3/4" Pressure treated Plywood?

Can I just use standard 3/4" plywood?
If not, what would work for this curved wall?


AtlanticWBConst. 06-17-2008 02:08 PM

I do believe, that HD carries Pressure Treated 3/4" plywood. If not, a lumber supply company should have it.

AtlanticWBConst. 06-17-2008 02:14 PM

Another option: use adjustable steel track.

Termite 06-17-2008 03:44 PM


Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. (Post 131174)
Another option: use adjustable steel track.

Good option.

Yes, it has to be treated lumber. You can get ACQ treated plywood, but you'll have to go to a lumberyard. I don't think most box stores have it.

mfleming 06-18-2008 12:33 AM

My house is only a year old and the builders installed the framing and insulation around the perimeter. They used 2x3 and no pressure treated bottom plate. Should I rip down everything around the exterior and install a pressure treated piece or is using that sill gasket foam (white thin stuff) under the bottom plate and over the concrete going to be fine?

Termite 06-18-2008 08:43 AM

If you can isolate the untreated lumber from the concrete, you'll be ok. Foam sillsealer like you described should work well, provided you can get it in there.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.