Preparing For An Inspection - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Preparing for an inspection

I am finishing my basement and called to get the framing inspected. They told me I needed to do the rough plumbing and rough electrical before they would look at it. My question is for the rough plumbing do they want me to go ahead and plumb into the existing water lines and cap everything off? Or should I just run the pipes to where they will eventually connect and tap into the existing lines after the inspection?

I would like to plumb into the lines right now so I can cap everything off and see if I have any leaks.

Also, after this inspection, what is the usual sequence for inspections after this?

Thanks.

Advertisement

epeterson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

In my area we have different inspections for different stages. Complete rough framing, complete plumbing roughing which includes all pipes tie into existing lines, and capped off and pressurized. complete electrical rough with all light cans wired. then a fire caulk and insulation inspection, and last a finish inspection for all. I wish we had your way here, it will move the job along much quicker. Good luck BOB.

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Go ahead and hook up all the supply and waste lines. You can put temporary caps on them and/or stuff a towel in the water closet drain. Don't install fixtures just yet. They'll want to see your connections if they'll be concealed, otherwise they might let you wait.

It is very common for an "all trades" rough-in inspection to be the way it is done. Many cities use "combination" inspectors like me instead of just having guys that specialize in one trade. Honestly, it saves you quite a bit of time in that you don't have to meet the inspectors over and over and over each time you finish something.

Other inspections that you may have between the rough and the final are:
-insulation
-wallboard
-gas lines
-final

Most cities don't do wallboard inspections on houses, but you definately need to ask your inspector to know for sure what they'll want to see.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote