Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #1

Share |

prehung door...stain it?

something about this "pre-hung door" I bought for a room in my basement has been bugging me: the jambs...they're made up of pieces of wood,most about 4-6 in. long, nicely joined together into one piece so the entire jamb looks like a "patchwork quilt". how's this going to look when it's stained? maybe it's supposed to be painted? maybe this is the style now? I must be "old fashioned" but I prefer a one piece jamb of nice pine that looks like it should be stained.

tnx,

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

prehung door...stain it?

You are talking about "fingerjointed" assembly.
Generally, fingerjointed is for paintgrade use only.

I would not suggest that you stain these in hopes of the door frame looking "nice".

Stain grade stock is never finger-jointed.
It is, as you implied, always whole stock material.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #3

prehung door...stain it?

Stain grade jambs now just have a veneer over the fingerjointed jamb you have now. The cost is a little more for this upgrade.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #4

prehung door...stain it?

I guess Lowe's doesn't have both kinds of jambs or maybe they just forgot to ask me which I wanted. I had no idea about that "finger joint" stuff, I just assumed I was going to be able to stain it. well, I'll stain it anyway since it's in an apartment I'm building and I don't think prospective renters will complain too much.

tnx,
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #5

Talking

prehung door...stain it?

You can seal with base colored paint, then stain over the paint with a gel stain.
$hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #6

prehung door...stain it?

No offense to you intended, but when I walk into a house and see stained finger jointed trim, it shouts "I don't know what I am doing" to me. If I were an educated prospective renter, that sort of work on visible features of the building would make me suspicious of the level of quality of the concealed parts of the building. It is amateurish, and even though it is a DIY project, I'd like to think that DIYers are still striving for professional quality work.

The box stores are pretty hit and miss on carrying finger jointed jambs and casing. Some do, some don't. If you go to a millwork supplier, you can get a prehung door with a stain grade jamb fairly inexpensively. I actually bought one at Home Depot a couple months ago.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
HomeAdditionPlus.com

prehung door...stain it?

Its not going to look good. Finger joined wood is not meant to be stained. It should be painted. Usually you can find non finger joined pre-hung doors at a slightly higher price. If the stain look is what your after, then I would consider replacing your new pre-hung basement door.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-20-2008 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Link Removed from Signature
mjdonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #8

prehung door...stain it?

I am just curious as to what happened with the gentleman who wanted to stain his finger joint jambs, how did it turn out? I noticed someone mentioned you could paint it then gel stain it, I never knew that, if you wouldn't mind telling me how did that turn out as well. I went to Home Depot today to buy a door and the lady that was there told me you could stain the finger joint doors, I didn't think so since they had a thin coating of something on them and I also did not think they would look nice and go with the flow of my other 2 doors. I presently have. So I was just wondering how it turned out for you guys. And what procedures you used, I would think you would have had to sand them down before sanding them.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge
sharron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #9

prehung door...stain it?

Ya know I have a similar problem.

I ordered some solid core prehung doors (for my basement finishing project) from menards in their "oaktowne" finish which, in the store, seemed to be pretty similar to the rest of the trim in my house.

Well when I picked them up, it was immediately obvious the color was way off, and frankly they look cheap cheap and ugly ugly.

I'm debating wether to say "oh well" and finish the basement project with matching "oaktowne" trim (which is a faux finished, painted pine product, I now realize).

Another option would be put the trim in that matches the upstairs (more of a golden/honey oak, made with actual oak) and leave the doors as is. I'm just not sure how terrible that would look.

Another option is put in the "upstairs" trim, then try to color the doors to match, or come close (I believe a coat of orange shellac would get me fairly close).

Another option would be install white trim, and paint the doors (or perhaps leave the doors as is).
Garasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

prehung door...stain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by $hoop View Post
You can seal with base colored paint, then stain over the paint with a gel stain.
What???... is this for a mobile home? No one would really do that to a house. Would they?

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote