Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2006, 05:05 PM   #1

Share |

Prefab balconies

We are beginning a two story addition and adding a master suite to the upper level in the rear. Off of this addition on the first level is a 16x20 deck and we are having the builder install french doors in the bedroom with the hopes of eventually adding a small deck off of the master bedroom down the road. My question is this... Does anyone know of any companys that manufacture small (4x6 or similar sized) prefabricated balconies that would bolt to the side of the house as opposed to having to set posts & beams? This would end up going through the existing first level deck and I don't think it would look very asthetic.

Thanks,

Dave
DaveGled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
Master Craftsman

Prefab balconies

What you need to do is have them cantelever some joist out to support the deck with no post.

Dave.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #3

Prefab balconies

I'd suggested this to my architect already, but he is not a big cantilever fan on this project. First off, the joists are running the wrong way, and second, he says that I'd be asking for trouble down the road as cantilvered decks invariably will one day cause a moisture problem as water will work it's way into the house via the cantilevered joists.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
Master Craftsman

Prefab balconies

He's right if not properly flashed. The problem that I see is in the fact that you just want to bolt it on. You are going to have to get some support from somewhere. You may have to run some braces from the front edge of the balcony back to the house at a 45 degree angle. Try this site. I found it real quick. You may find what you want here or get some ideas. http://www.jomy.com/

Dave.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:21 PM   #5

Prefab balconies

Thanks Dave. I'd already found this website and wasn't too impressed with it. Was hoping that someone might know of some others.

Dave
Old 06-16-2006, 10:38 PM   #6
renovations

Prefab balconies

I don't know of anyone who does just that, but your project isn't that complicated. When you want it built, get an engineer to draw up the necessary specs. Or do that now so any necessary supports can be placed in the wall waiting for it's load.

As dave says, w/o posts you'll need knee braces coming off the wall to hold it up, but 4'x6' isn't very big, you should be able to do this no problem, steel is strong.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote