Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Precast concrete pool coping

Remodeling 1979 in-ground concrete pool. Iím using precast concrete swimming pool coping: The pieces are 24" long, 13" wide and 1.5" thick. They need to span the gap over the skimmer inlet cut into the gunite beam of my pool. Before, the coping was 30" and two pieces were used to span the gap, and meet in the middle, ie cantilevered over. No problems for 33 years.

With the remodel they made the gap larger, about 24" at the front water side, and 12" at the back to the skimmer. The tile guy filled in with some kind of concrete filler, no rebar. Now the gap is about 20" in the front and 10" in the back. (Curves back to skimmer throat)

They want to put a stanless steel plate over this gap and place one 24" piece cnetered over the gap. If the reinforced filler gives way, this piece might fall in, as I see it but I'm no structural engineer. (I haven't seen the stainless steel plate.) But don't know if the cantilevering it will be any better now. It needs to support the weight of a personwalking on it. I live in SW, rare to have temps under 30 degrees, but in the winter this is full shade as on north side of my house.

What works best, the cantilever with two 24" or span with one 24", or something else? Thanks for any input.

jackiep is offline   Reply With Quote