Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

pre frame deck stairs?

Due to time constraints I do not have allot of time to work on my deck stairs, so I had an idea since I cant work on them at night outside why not pre frame them in my garage. My stairs will be 6' wide and the stringers will only be two 5" steps, so its nothing major at all. I was thinking I could cut all the stringers and attach the upper part of the stringers to a treated 2x6 and then attach the bottom of the stringers to a treated 2x6. Then when I have some free daylight take the whole assembly and just attach the 2x6 to the deck rim and it "should" be square and level. Will this work at all? I would post a sketch of my idea but I am on my mobile device right now.

cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #2

pre frame deck stairs?

Can this please be moved to building and constructon, I have no idea how it got here. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #3

pre frame deck stairs?

I often build them in my shop and then assemble
dvatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 92

pre frame deck stairs?

I almost always build deck stairs as a unit (minus the treads) then set them in place.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

pre frame deck stairs?

Why is it so many people (in general... not necessarily this post) seem to be hooked on "cutting" stringers... then beefing them back up by sistering? You do know stringers never have to be "cut" at all, don't you?

Steps would be a whole lot less of a PROJECT if we didn't think we had to cut the stringers into a jigsaw puzzle.

Last edited by Willie T; 06-13-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 10

pre frame deck stairs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbzdel View Post
Due to time constraints I do not have allot of time to work on my deck stairs, so I had an idea since I cant work on them at night outside why not pre frame them in my garage. My stairs will be 6' wide and the stringers will only be two 5" steps, so its nothing major at all. I was thinking I could cut all the stringers and attach the upper part of the stringers to a treated 2x6 and then attach the bottom of the stringers to a treated 2x6. Then when I have some free daylight take the whole assembly and just attach the 2x6 to the deck rim and it "should" be square and level. Will this work at all? I would post a sketch of my idea but I am on my mobile device right now.

on the underside of the stringers notch in the 2x6 that you put under it and it will be a part of the stair stringer structure forever, or put two 2x6 ( 11") underneath and minus 1 1/2" from the bottom stair height to accommodate the two 2x6.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #7

pre frame deck stairs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Why is it so many people (in general... not necessarily this post) seem to be hooked on "cutting" stringers... then beefing them back up by sistering? You do know stringers never have to be "cut" at all, don't you?

Steps would be a whole lot less of a PROJECT if we didn't think we had to cut the stringers into a jigsaw puzzle.
what do you mean by this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
on the underside of the stringers notch in the 2x6 that you put under it and it will be a part of the stair stringer structure forever, or put two 2x6 ( 11") underneath and minus 1 1/2" from the bottom stair height to accommodate the two 2x6.
My plan was to attach the 2x6 to the front of the stringers because I plan to make what I call "floating stairs" I plan on attaching this 2x6 to the bottom posts so the stringers do not bear on the ground. I ran the numbers a 6' long 2x6 will easily support the load of 6' wide stairs with two step stringers. I am doing this because I want the stairs to exit directly onto the grass below, I do not want to pour a concrete base for the stringers. At least this is my thought process, not sure if it will work as well as it seems in my mind haha..

Last edited by cbzdel; 06-13-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #8

pre frame deck stairs?

here is a quick sketch of plan so called plan... what do you guys think?? I did not show the attachments or the posts but you should get the idea of my pre-built frame that I have in mind..

Old 06-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Mod

Rewards Points: 92

pre frame deck stairs?

With just two steps you’re probably better off with box steps instead of stringers which is probably what WT was referring to.

If go with stringers the back of the stringer needs to be fully supported so the 2x6 won’t do. A 2x8 should work but usually falls just shy of full support and I’ve been called on that ½” before.

I also notch the 2x6 under the stringer like HD mentioned and not faced like you show.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 06-13-2012 at 11:56 AM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #10

pre frame deck stairs?

never thought of box steps, that would be very easy how do you set box steps on the ground? I do not want to pour any concrete, can I get away with a gravel base and still attach the top of the "box" to the deck rim and the bottom to my embed handrail posts?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

pre frame deck stairs?

Quote:
what do you mean by this?
This is what I mean. With 6' wide steps, you will have to either cut the inner stringers, or go with strong vertical risers... (my choice) maybe 10 or twelve inches, hanging lower than the stair tread beneath so you could fasten the rear of that tread into it.
Attached Images

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 10

pre frame deck stairs?

Quote:
here is a quick sketch of plan so called plan... what do you guys think?? I did not show the attachments or the posts but you should get the idea of my pre-built frame that I have in mind..

in the diagram, are the treads 2x4 or 2x6? it looks like a 2x4, maybe consider a 2x6 triple tread landing built in two parts giving you a 16" step per landing..

Also, of note is to never let a stair stringer hang unsupported especially if you are not using concrete at the bottom of the stairs to help lock the stairs to the deck.

Last edited by hand drive; 06-13-2012 at 09:19 PM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #13
DIY-er

pre frame deck stairs?

Your diagram looks fine, except increase the size of the 2 x 6 supporting the back of the stringer to a 2 x 10 and you should be good to go. I would also put some extra bracing under the joists because only the top 1/3 of the stringer will be supported.

KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote