Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Computer Nerd + DIY'er

Share |
Question

Pre-Drawn Plans for 4foot high 2x3 basement shelves

Hi everyone -

I was wondering if anyone has any plans for shelves that are built out of 2x3 studs that are 48" tall and 6-8 feet wide with minimal wood waste. I am looking to put shelves in my basement, but the ceiling is only 6'3, so I want to keep the shelves to 48" tall. Also, I have lots of scrap plywood so my shelves will be either 1/2 or 3/4" depending on which scraps I use. I would also like the shelves to be at least 18-20" high so that I can put those big tupperware bins.

Thanks for your help!

OhmZoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #2

You are much better off deciding what you want to put on the shelves and designing them to suit. Or go to a Home Depot or Lowes type store and look at the shelving available to get an idea what would work. Take some measurements, take a picture and go from there. It's your design that will work for you, not mine or anyone elses.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
DIY or die !

I'm building shelves in my basement similar to yours. Basically my shelves will be designed to fit rubbermade storrage bins. I should be able to go 3 high with some extra space on top for whatever else. The main difference with mine is that I am going to integrate a floor strengthening system into the shelves. (my kitchen floor uses 2x6s running 16 feet ) I am going to be using 4x4 posts and 2x10s or whatever I have around to bassicly build a header from. Then I will attach the shelves to that.
lewisthepilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote