Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Pre-Built shed vs DIY

Hello All,

I am in need of a shed this spring, we just moved into our new house in late fall and I did not have time to get one. I was looking at a simple 8 x 10 to remove the clutter from the garage. I see that alot of my local building stores have the "kits", are these in fact cheaper than building one from scratch? the only thing about them is the double doors at the end, I wanted to place it sideways and have a steel door and 2 windows on either side. However if you do it this way you only have a 5ft high place to small for a door and would be knocking your head. I was thinking of building it with 6 1/2 or 7 ft sidewalls to allow for a door... or put a gable on the side of the "kit" ones to allow for a door.

Anyone have any input as far as DIY or kits?

thanks

bigbearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
old guy contractor

Pre-Built shed vs DIY

If it's an out of pocket expense you're debating, the DIY is cheaper as long as you work for free.

The beauty of DIY is that you can customize your design to meet your needs.
Maybe a bigger door
More roof overhang on one side for tools
A skylight or window treatment for lighting
Siding to match the house.

Personally, I hate the look of the Home Depot sheds....

A DIY has details that can make it look a whole lot better than just a "shed"

tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #3

Pre-Built shed vs DIY

That is my opinion too.. the DIY looks alot better vs standard everyone has it types. My time is defiantly free and our only worry is cost. I wanted it sideways with a steel mandoor and 2 windows and was thinking about spruce siding painted instead of vinyl. And the only thing I would not know about is making my own joists for the roof. thats why I was looking at the other "kits" and modifying it but then your paying for stuff you need and stuff you don't....
Old 04-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
old guy contractor

Pre-Built shed vs DIY

What's the issue with the roof?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Lost..

Pre-Built shed vs DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearz View Post
That is my opinion too.. the DIY looks alot better vs standard everyone has it types. My time is defiantly free and our only worry is cost. I wanted it sideways with a steel mandoor and 2 windows and was thinking about spruce siding painted instead of vinyl. And the only thing I would not know about is making my own joists for the roof. thats why I was looking at the other "kits" and modifying it but then your paying for stuff you need and stuff you don't....
what is your price range - if you don't mind me asking
J S Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #6

Pre-Built shed vs DIY

Making my own joists would be the problem

I was hoping to keep the costs below 1000.00 for sure... a kit cost 420 at Co-Op in my town then add the siding and 2 windows... base... etc.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
Lost..

Pre-Built shed vs DIY

Plan to spend more that your budget. The shop I just built was initially gonna be done for under $1300. I have over $3k in it now and it still isn't finished.

If you are going to put forth the effort to do it, do it right. Just some advice
J S Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #8

Pre-Built shed vs DIY

Oh for sure I want to do it right... that's why I was hoping that someone has contemplated the same thing as me.. modify a Kit.. or was it indeed cheaper to built form scratch. Its going to be front and center in my yard for all to see and I want it to look as good as the house.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #9

Pre-Built shed vs DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearz View Post
Making my own joists would be the problem
I assume that you mean rafters, and unless you are considering a gambrel, which is probably not the case with a budget in mind, I honestly think that anyone interested in DIY will find the task to be more fun than challenging. I seem to recall a number of threads related to this topic, so you should use the search function on this site, and, the next time that you are at your local big box, check out their book section, where I am sure that you will find something with directions and diagrams. Or, if you wish to do a gambrel, or a hip, I am sure that you could do that as well, but that could provide a few more moments of anxiety. And, of course, feel free to keep in touch, and keep asking questions.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #10

Pre-Built shed vs DIY

Thanks DEXTER11, and yes I did mean Rafters had something on the brain.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #11

Pre-Built shed vs DIY

Do you need more than the main doors to enter and exit?
Do you need windows?

If you're talking 4 walls and a ceiling, there is no reason you couldn't do a flat roof. Truces aren't hard to build either.

If I were doing this job, I'd start with 3 rows high of cement block (first row and half below grade). Then encase some threaded bolt rod in cement. 2x4 construction. Outside paneling for out side. Paper and shingle the roof.
pjordan4477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #12

Pre-Built shed vs DIY

I agree with tcleve4911 you should build your own.

You will get a better shed and it can match your house. My shed is a small version of the "New Yankee Workshop" I built after seeing one at a garden center. It is built with 2x4 wall studs with cedar siding on the front and designer shingles to match our house. I would guesstimate it was around 500 dollars or so, plus free labor over a number of evenings and weekends. It is 8x8 foot square so there was very little wasted wood. We keep garden tools and lawnmowers stored in her. Freed up some garage space.

BTW I used screws so it could be moved easily if needed. Hope to get started on a larger version, 12x12 before too long.

Hope others will post pics of their shed builds here to share.

Last edited by thomask; 04-05-2011 at 07:19 PM.
thomask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
old guy contractor

Pre-Built shed vs DIY

Hey Thom
Please post some pics of your shed
If its' modeled after Norm workshop, it's gotta be sweet.
We'd love to see it
Old 04-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #14

Pre-Built shed vs DIY

The simplest and cheapest roof you could build would be a flat roof that pitches rearward. That gives you the head clearance at the entrance you need as well. The rafters would be a single length of dimentional lumber 2 x 6, 8, or 10 depending on the size of the roof and the would attach front and back with bird's mouths. My father got a plan for a gambrel roof shed that included a design for very sturdy hand-built gambrel rafters eliminating the expense of pre-built trusses.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
old guy contractor

Pre-Built shed vs DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
The simplest and cheapest roof you could build would be a flat roof that pitches rearward.
That's called a shed roof.....