Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2006, 07:38 PM   #1

Share |

Powder Room Framing Question

I am building a house. I'm not sure of anything. I'm going to have a whole lot of questions as this job preceeds. Right now, here the situation that is bothering me.

I have a licensed framer. I've pestered him a lot. Before I pester him again Monday morning I thought I'd get some feedback from some of the talent on this chatroom.

My problem:
I have a powder room that is partially located under the front porch. The corner of the powder room has a radius on the corner that is under the porch. The parapet wall above the powder room sticks up part of the way through the front porch roof, but not high enough. I'm thinking it kind-of looks stupid because the roof on one side goes higher than the parapet, but meets and follows the radius on the other side. The roofers came once last week, but were rained out the rest of the week. They are suppose to return Monday. MY QUESTION: Can the framer come back and make a higher parapet wall after the roofing has been done or am I stuck with a short parapet wall?

Last edited by Not Sure; 08-05-2006 at 07:46 PM. Reason: my roof diagram didn't turn out
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:43 PM   #2

Oops, my drawing of the roof and parapet wall got totally missed up when I sent my thread in. I guess I'm not too good on the computer either. I wish I knew how to send a real picture...

I'm going to take my digital camera out to the site tomorrow and see if I can figure out how to download a few pictures into a message. I'm not a computer person.

Thank you for responding.

Last edited by Ron The Plumber; 08-06-2006 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Merging threads to keep thread straight
Old 08-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
Master Craftsman

Pictures man, we need pictures.

Dave.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:58 PM   #4

Thank you for the reply. I know, pictures tell the whole story. I'm just not handy (yet) enough with my computer to figure out how to get photos online.

I read on a thread that building is not for the weak of heart. I totally agree!

Last edited by Not Sure; 01-06-2007 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
Master Craftsman

If you need to put pictures in your post you need to open up an account at photo bucket, it's free. When you open your account you will be able to upload pictures from your computer to it then when you post here click the little icon above that says insert image when you mouse over it and paste the url there and the image will be uploaded to this site.

Hoped this helped, Dave.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:04 AM   #6

Asking around locally, I have found out it would be a total pain and somewhat costly to make the parapet higher. The framers would have to remove roofing down the inside of the parapet wall and some on the roof. Then, the wall would be built up. Next, the roofers would have to come back and do a patch job. I was told it doesn't look too bad... to get over it and move on!

Thanks for your replies. I might not have gotten my problem solved, but I have a great tip on how to get photos posted. Thanks for the time you took to respond.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:29 AM   #7
Master Craftsman

It's not a problem. Pictures help out in situations like this one where describing what you want to do doesn't make sense to me but with a picture we could possibly have given other options.

Glad to hear you got your problem solved anyway.

Dave.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #8

So, I've been losing a lot of sleep over this house. (literally) Worrying about almost every detail. I've even thought out where each and every plug will go in the house. I have discovered I am a terrible perfectionist. I just don't know codes well enough to make some of the important decisions I need to make. Unfortunately, the subcontractors, even though they are licensed, don't offer much insight. They just say things like, "If that is the way you want it, we'll do it." My framing contractor, a really nice guy, could have been more informative. He has had to do some things over again in order to meet code.

I decided to get a general contractor on board. The GC that will be helping me out is really good. Now, I can pester him.

I am very impressed with the DIY website! Even though I have a general contractor helping me, I can still learn a lot from the DIY members.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:55 AM   #9
Master Craftsman

A common problem in the home building business is the need to blame someone else for something that they are not happy with. I know your not trying to pester people but (and I say this kindly) you want someone else to make the decision so if your not happy it's not your fault. I've seen it way too often. I have learned, like alot of your subs, to keep my mouth shut when it comes to suggesting things because if the homeowner is not happy then it's my fault.

This was not directed toward you.

Your freind, Dave.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:13 AM   #10

You speak from experience! You have probably dealt with many homebuilders and have been frustrated with some of the requests they have made of you. If you let them know their requests are not code, hopefully they are open to doing things differently. I'm sure I have frustrated all my subcontractors to varying degrees! I do say thank you a lot when I'm asking questions! I really do appreciate them taking the time to help educated me. I just would like a "that's against code," before we move on.

I can tell from your website that you build with quality. You are a TRUE craftsman. I was so impressed by the photos of your work on your site.

Mike, the general contractor I've got to help is a wonderful trim carpenter, but also a wealth of knowledge concerning code in many areas. Mike has a GB98 license. (I think it's GB89??? I can't remember right off the top of my head.) He has worked as an electrician, knows the basics of plumbing, has remodeled... I should of gotten Mike on board right from the start! Live and learn.

Thank you for your response!

Edit added ...
Oh, back to the original problem, the parapet wall. It's growing on me... (It wasn't a code issue. Just an esthetic thing.)

Last edited by Not Sure; 08-11-2006 at 07:54 AM.