Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

pouring slab for patio

hello,

i want to pour a 20'x10'x4" slab for a patio. it will be poured against two brick walls of the house. i dont know if 4" is deep enough either? what size stone should i use for the base? #2? it is going to be poured on dirt. im going to dig up the grass and dirt will be the actual base to start with. what size mesh should i use? should i put bricks under the mesh to keep it off the ground? im planning on mixing the concrete using 80lb bags of premix, with a power mixer. how many bags will i need? i will buy the lumber for the forms according to the thickness of the concrete u think i should pour.

bob

bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Construction Guru

pouring slab for patio

You really don't need to lay stone for a patio, just pack the soil down good using a plate tamp from a rental store. Pack the soil to the point that you the tamp doesn't sink down when running. You would would also want to get the crete from a plant because it will be difficult to mix the bags fast enough for a single pour. Most bags are 1/3 of a yard and the slab you are pouring is about 3.5 to 4 yards.

sheeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #3

pouring slab for patio

But you could spearate the pour into 2 or 3 pours, using the fiber board for expansions jionts as one end of the individually formed sections.
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #4

pouring slab for patio

hello, and thanks for the replies,

i got an estimate last year to redo 55'x10' of my driveway. i was quoted $1500. i figure this pour for the patio to be about alittle less than half the pour for the driveway, so im calling the contractor and get a price. i figure about $750-800, and i wont have to bust my back. doing it myself with a helper, and then not knowing if its done correctly. i figure it will cost about the the same if not more, if i do it myself, so im calling! i will let u folks know how it turned out.

bob
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
Remodeler

pouring slab for patio

bobo where are you? I'm in Florida. I got a price of $6.00 Sq' for concrete work. At that rate your driveway would have cost 3300.00.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote