Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #1

Share |

Pouring new concrete over existing

I would like to enclose my carport, there is existing concrete which is about 50 yrs old and has a few cracks. I would like to raise it up 3 inches to meet with the house foundation. Will it be okay to pour over the old? Also I have 3 6X6 support posts that are anchored to the concrete, will I be able to pour around these and make them permanent in the foundation?
dalebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #2

When new concrete touches old concrete the old will absorb the new concrete's water content, which would cause the new concrete to not cure correctly. At the same time, cracking will occur due to the fact that the two will not bond as one. Since this is a carport and is heavily loaded, cracks will occur.
The existing wood column should not touch the concrete as it will deteriorate if you bury the column into the concrete.
luckattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #3

What if there is a layer of that concrete adhesive stuff between old and new concrete?
Vincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #4

You are talking about the bonding agent where you would need to prep the existing slab by roughening it with 1/4" amplitude. If it was a walking slab, I might consider it since you are putting in 3" but for a carport I wouldn't try due to the loading. Also, again there will be cracking and the two will separate. Not recommended.
luckattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #5

As it happens, I intend to do the same. Over a 4 inch slab, I will set a metal mesh and poor concrete to make a supplemental 4 inch. I have googled this subject and the answers are, mostly, afirmative. The treatement of the existing slab will solve the problem at the interface. Talk to an experienced contractor.
indel is offline   Reply With Quote