Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2010, 01:50 AM   #1

Share |

Pouring my footings

I'm building my own home and got into a real mess !.. I have my forms for my footings built ( 16" wide x 8" high x 150 Linear feet) Small house. All set to have my local concrete supplier (national chain) deliver the concrete, have the helpers, all set. HOWEVER, I didn't realize that due to the remote area and poor access to the property (very remote), the supplier is un-able to either deliver or "pump" the concrete. We're talking about 6 cubic yards of concrete. My only solution is this: Block off parts of the footing forms, get a mixer (largest I've found so far is 12 cubic feet, yes, feet !.. I'm in need of almost 300 60# bags of concrete). If I use the rebar that was intended, and use what's called a "keyway" meaning puting in a keyway between the sections, can I pour the footings in sections using this method ?, also, what is the time frame between mixing and pouring, meaning can I mix up 12 cubic feet, pour it, then mix up another 12 cubic feet and pour that right on top of the the first pour ?... How much time would I have between pours before my concrete starts setting up ?... Also, since I have to pour my wall ( 8" wide, 18" tall x of course the same 150 linear feet), can I pour the retaining wall the same way ?, Figure 12 cubic feet is almost 1/2 cubic yard, I would need 14 mixings total. If I can get two mixers going at the same time, could I get the compete pour in one day without the concrete "setting up" on me ?.. Still using the method above, meaning block off sections and pouring that way.

cashondelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #2

Pouring my footings

kind of confusing to me - 1st, 300 bags dry concrete mix as in from an apron store OR portland cement in 60# bags ? ? ?

1 of the advantages of being a pro's knowing how to get conc to where its need'd which means either there's a conc pump onsite OR you build a road for that 60,000# trk,,, we've blt foundations w/bucket & crane but i'm thinkin' that might be o'kill for you.

1 mixer that capacity's sufficient long's no one stands around,,, might need s'more guys to move the chute & work the wheelbarrows, tho then again, you might consider hiring this part of the job !

itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #3

Pouring my footings

Some suggestions.
Use a bobcat or two or three and pour the concrete in the buckets and run it up to the house.
Call a different supplier and see if they have a different solution.
A small dump truck instead of the bobcats.

Give us some details why they can't get the truck or pump to your site. I don't think you have any hope of pouring the foundation by hand mixing. Only you local building inspector can approve the sectional footings.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #4

Pouring my footings

Maybe multiples of the personal ready-mixers that can be towed behind a pickup truck? Usually 1 yard or so capacity. Two or three trucks/mixers running back and forth.
Attached Images

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #5

Pouring my footings

How close to house can the full size cement truck get? If it is reasonably close, why not rent a couple of cement buggies? I wouldn't hand mix it. The foundation is the most important part of your house. If you start off on the wrong foot, you will have nothing but trouble later on.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #6

Pouring my footings

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
How close to house can the full size cement truck get? If it is reasonably close, why not rent a couple of cement buggies? I wouldn't hand mix it. The foundation is the most important part of your house. If you start off on the wrong foot, you will have nothing but trouble later on.
Mike Hawkins
I learn something everyday...

Concrete Buggie: Typically, the concrete buggies drive up to the concrete truck where cement is loaded into the buggie, then the operator drives the concrete buggies on the jobsite to the spot where it is needed. Then the buggie dumps its load through the hydraulic dump controls.
Attached Thumbnails
Pouring my footings-concrete-buggie.jpg  
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Pouring my footings

If you have a reasonably good concrete supplier, they may have onboard pumps or conveyors. If not, you should be able to get a pumping contractor with boom up to 200' feet that can even pump over your home.

Since you are only needing about 1/2 to 3/4 load of concrete, planning and combinations of systems make sense.

An alternate would be to put in a base for your driveway in for access during construction and then for permanent access later.

If you mix it yourself, you will somehow have to move all the bags, cement and aggregate to your addition somehow. One way is to plan ahead ahead and the other choice is to use the available supplier/equipment suppliers or just hire some illegal aliens to tote everything in and pour is piecemeal and hope the inspector feels it meets the code minimums.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #8

Pouring my footings

I know it has been some what ask, but I will ask it directly.

Can you post some pictures on the job?

canyonbc is offline   Reply With Quote