Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #1

Share |

Pouring a concrete patio...

I am pretty handy around the house, but have never tackled a concrete project.
I would like to pour just a simple patio, not sure of the size.
Is this something I can do? Frame out? put wire/rebar or something like that in it? Have it poured?
And then what about the finishing? Do you rent those big finishers? Or can you "stamp" it?
Just starting to look at this project for later this year.
Any thoughts welcome,
Thanks!
Mark
diyntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #2

Depends upon how big
Poured is a lot of work, can crack
I prefer pavers, you can move the, no worries about cracking

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

If your doing it for your own personal gratification, you can do it. It your doing it to save money, you may fail. I would recomend you either search this site or buy a book or publication (or all) to get the ABC's down. Many on here could answer any question you may have about your project, just not all your questions at once. Also, you don't want to rent a finishing machine for your patio, & as cantrary to popular belief, they are harder to learn than finishing by hand. Don't plan on stamping either, as it' definately not a DIY job. Don't let this info stop you from asking more specific questions though!
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Depends upon how big
Poured is a lot of work, can crack
I prefer pavers, you can move the, no worries about cracking
You know, I had forgotten about the paver possibilities. I had once looked at that. I am going to relook it again. Another thing I liked is that you can expand the area easily later. And it's an ongoing process, you don't have to do it all at once which helps with paying cash on projects.
OR old bricks, although unless I find someone I know, it's generally just as cheap to buy the brick pavers from Lowes.
It's a pretty level place, dirt is so hard, bunch of red clay here in West Tn, it's hard to dig that out. I'll have to wet it first I guess.
This is a project I've stared and and mulled over for years.
The time has come to tear down this ole high maintenance, wasp infested, warped on the edges deck. I might retain part of it as we come out the French doors that swing out, redeck that small part and use it as sort of a landing.
Pardon me, new guy here and I'm just daydreaming in type on and on...
thanks!
Mark
diyntn is offline   Reply With Quote