Pouring Concrete Over Asphalt - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

pouring concrete over asphalt

i work at a apartment complex and i am fixing to close in two covered parking spots to make a shop.i want to pour a 1 inch by 4 inch wall around the perimeter and use the asphalt as a floor in the center.but how can i get the concrete to adhere to the aspahalt so it don't leak.help

Advertisement

cstarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

I cant exactly picture what you are trying to do with the wall idea, but the asphalt should be cut out before placing concrete. Asphalt is relatively soft and easy to remove. If you are going to build a concrete wall to frame in a garage type structure, you need to install a proper foundation.

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,486

1' X 4" ? ? ? where's the strength in that ? ? ? not only will it not bond to the blacktop, it won't even stay in 1 piece,,, either do it right or forget it,,, your best bet's getting a h/o book outta an apron store,,, either that OR spend a few weeks reading past posts til you know & understand enough to ask more intelligent questions,,, apparent that's not the case now.

thankfully there's a cure for ignorance its call'd ' education ' & we're all ignorant about some stuff,,, stupid's different - that's fatal,,, come see us later on, ok ? ? ? good luck ! ! !

ps - in the meantime, refrain from telling anyone your plans & mentioning specific methods as they'll cock eyebrows & wonder if you're the right guy for the job.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #4

the parking garage already has 4 steel post and i am pouring concrete between the post to keep rain and debri out.then i am going to build my stud wall on top of the concrete wall between the post.

Last edited by cstarkey; 08-22-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

I'm guessing you want to take a couple of bays of a structure that looks like the attached photo, and enclose it.

If this were my gig, I'd go down to the town and see if I could even do that. Turning parking space into occupied space would warrant a chat. If it were my project, I would try to convince the town with a sound design. Since the roof is already supported, I'd try to make the case that I'm going to make the shop independent of the roof structure. Like cutting out the asphalt, pouring a floating pad, and sliding in a prebuilt shed, or a kit, onto the slab.

I'd be afraid that if I didn't approach the town with a proper design, and failed to get the permits or zoning approval, that a resident would complain to the building department that someone was turning the complex into a shanty town, and the town would force me to rip down what I installed.
Attached Thumbnails
pouring concrete over asphalt-pkg.jpg  
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is part of the plan that anything you do can be easily taken down?
Or is this planned as a long term structure?
Where are you located? Snow/freezing area?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #7

yes wonder why i can't pour the wall around the bottom and use the asphalt as my floor.it has shingle roof,but my roof is shaped differnt like this _/\

Last edited by cstarkey; 08-22-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Is part of the plan that anything you do can be easily taken down?
Or is this planned as a long term structure?
Where are you located? Snow/freezing area?
lower alabama
Old 08-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #9

You'll have to excuse itsreallyconc, he gets his point across strongly at times
He knows concrete.....
The 1" thick concrete will not have any strength, it will simply break up under any pressure

If you want the asphalt to remain to return this to normal

#1 Run it by the local building Dept, see what they want if anything for a footer as Aggie67 stated in his post

#2 Go by what they tell you
If possible: (disclaimer) and I've never done this & don't know how---
I'd look into just building free floating walls with bottom plate of PT
Caulking or asphalt tar to seal the PT to the "floor" & keep water out

Are you going to install an AC, insulation to cool the area?

But the local building Dept will need to approve/inspect what you do
You don't want to go to a lot of work & have them tell you to take it down
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstarkey View Post
yes wonder why i can't pour the wall around the bottom and use the asphalt as my floor.it has shingle roof,but my roof is shaped differnt like this _/\
You'd have to check your local code minimums to see if your idea satisfies the minimum requirements. I think one thing that's not entirely clear is the wall orientation. Are you saying you want to pour a wall 4 inches wide and a foot high, right on top of the asphalt? I strongly advise you to not do that. That's just not a sound idea. The macadam will have some movement and expansion with ground moisture and heat. You will end up cracking the concrete. Plus the minimum coverage for rebar is 3 inches (hopefully you're thinking about rebar), so if the wall is only 4 inches thick, all you're going to do is end up with a headache. You want to remove the asphalt and install a proper footing for the walls. And the minimum proper footing is dictated in large part by the local building code requirements.

You also should speak to your zoning department to see if this will even comply. Last thing you want is a zoning violation, a fine, and an order to demolish a non-compliant structure. You said you worked at the complex. Does the property owner know you're doing this? If he gets soaked with a fine, will your job be safe?
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie67 View Post
You'd have to check your local code minimums to see if your idea satisfies the minimum requirements. I think one thing that's not entirely clear is the wall orientation. Are you saying you want to pour a wall 4 inches wide and a foot high, right on top of the asphalt? I strongly advise you to not do that. That's just not a sound idea. The macadam will have some movement and expansion with ground moisture and heat. You will end up cracking the concrete. Plus the minimum coverage for rebar is 3 inches (hopefully you're thinking about rebar), so if the wall is only 4 inches thick, all you're going to do is end up with a headache. You want to remove the asphalt and install a proper footing for the walls. And the minimum proper footing is dictated in large part by the local building code requirements.

You also should speak to your zoning department to see if this will even comply. Last thing you want is a zoning violation, a fine, and an order to demolish a non-compliant structure. You said you worked at the complex. Does the property owner know you're doing this? If he gets soaked with a fine, will your job be safe?
i am trying to get ideas and bids of building our own shop or having one built.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:08 AM   #12

Good advice so far. An asphalt parking lot is NEVER a good substrate for any sort of concrete structure.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,486

1 of life's anchors is reading partial posts in which relevant facts're not mentioned,,, another's having to communicate w/those who, originally thru no fault of their own, are not fully conversant in their native language leaving readers the task of divining the poster's full intent,,, its often less stressful & MUCH more expedient to answer/comment on what's asked or, more clearly, call a spade a spade

thanks for the downfield block, dave

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote