Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 544

Pouring Concrete in Cold Weather

I have an approx. 4" high by 6" deep curb that will be about 8 ft long to pour connecting the two existing curbs of a garage conversion. The temps are forecasted to be in the low to mid 30's. The area is pretty covered from any precip. Is this too cold, or am I okay to pour?

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,088

Where in the world are you located for climatic reasons.

The most critical items are the temperature of the soil base, the temperature of the concrete and the protection/insulation during the next few days. The air temperature is not that important in most areas because the base and concrete have more mass and will ultimately control.

Base: If you have a snow cover that is good. Remove the snow and if necessary use charcoal to heat/thaw the soil and then cover to protect and maintain for a day or so before you pour. Since it is a very small pour, you can usually rent an insulating blanket to protect the soil and then the concrete after it is poured.

Concrete and materials: You will probably mix the concrete yourself. Get some packaged concrete mix or bagged sand, gravel and cement inside a heated garage for a day or two to warm up. Mix the dry materials in a mixer and then add water up to 140 degrees for mixing water. If you buy the cement separately, try to use Type III, which is called "High Early Strength" and it will set up faster and generate heat sooner that helps curing.

Protction: Cover the placed and finished curb and cover immediately with and insulated blanket for a few days. As the concrete cures, the heat generation and curing slows, so time is a benfit if you do not open everything up.

If you are in a colder area, you can always use two insulated blankets. Small projects are difficult in colder climates and should use air entrained concrete from a R/M supplier, but the short load charge is significant, but does reduce the running around to pick up materials and keep them warm.

It all depends on where you are located.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 544

I am located in Iowa. The curb will be poured on top of an existing concrete slab. I'll use a concrete primer to bond the two surfaces. I planned on using some quickcrete concrete mix designed for footings and foundations. (I think it's in a green bag...it's higher strength than the regular quickcrete). The concrete won't be needed for load as much as water infiltration.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote