Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2007, 07:10 PM   #1

Share |

Poured Concrete vs. Concrete Pavers For A Driveway

I'm looking to get rid of a section of grass on the side of an existing driveway. I'm contemplating both methods. Anyone have an opinion or has done either method?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:26 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

I assume this is the driveway in the front of your home. Because of this, whatever looks the best would be desireable.

If it was just one side, pavers might look strange, although your new concrete will not match the old.

It is was strips on both sides, pavers would certainly look the best and lend a bit more class than plain concrete.

Pavers are more DIY friendly since you can go at your own pace and do not have to know how to finish concrete.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:36 PM   #3

Thanks. If I do go the paver way I would seriously think about taking out the older driveway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierysun View Post
I'm looking to get rid of a section of grass on the side of an existing driveway. I'm contemplating both methods. Anyone have an opinion or has done either method?
Unless you want the contrast between the existing concrete and the new paver area, I would just go with concrete. Drill the edge of the existing drive and install rebar dowel pins to keep the sections from setttling unevenly. The cement guy should be able to get a reasonablebly close finish. After the concrete has cured, clean the old drive with a 3500psi or more pressure washer, thus making the old much closer in color to the new. Nature will take over from there.

Pavers will be ok if you want the contrasting look, but you fill find that installing them correctly is not cheap. For them to last, you have to follow manufacturers instructions for compacted stone base, etc, it is not just getting rid of the grass and throwing them into a bed of sand as you may have been led to believe.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #5

The sub-base for pavers is the same as for concrete, so that is a moot point.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
That is sort of true but can also be false due to different soils in different areas. If you've got a good gravel base and you dont over excavate your base will be fine for concrete. For the pavers you'll need to follow the manufacters requirements. And as mentioned above installing the pavers can become more costly than anticipated. I can speak for gravel here in the northeast and I pour concrete on it everyday.
GearHd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #7
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Never in my life seen a concrete slab speced over a "mininum of 6"s compacted stone " as is required for a lasting paver job. Perhaps it is a cold climate related thing for your area, but I am in deep south where the only thing that goes under a slab is sand to level the site.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:39 PM   #8

It is a local soil issue. At my house, no sub-base is needed, while 5 miles due East of me, you would need 6".
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #9

I planned on using 4" of compacted stone to cover my bases.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:34 PM   #10

4" of base is not acceptable for a driveway. Good for a patio when the biggest thing is your fat Aunt. Driveways require 12" of base.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #11

LOL! Thanks.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #12

probably I go for concrete pavers driveway the older way .to ensure that your concrete driveway will look good for many years to come, there are important steps to follow before making concrete driveway. How well your driveway looks and performs long-term is largely related to the quality of workmanship and materials that go into it.
Kaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
4" of base is not acceptable for a driveway. Good for a patio when the biggest thing is your fat Aunt. Driveways require 12" of base.
Ron
You must own or have stock in a gravel company......

First time I have ever heard of that much base being needed....I believe 4-6" is more of the standard.....

My
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

After four years I hope he got it done.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #15
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
After four years I hope he got it done.

Andy.

One of these days I'll start looking at the date of the original post.....geeezzzzzzzz

My
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote