Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #1

Share |

potential foundation problems?

I am about to put an offer on a home in Atlanta, Ga. The problem is, I found what looked like deep cracks in the slab foundation, one deep on in the garage, a few hairline cracks at the corners of some of the windows, and a very slight, almost imperceptible slope in the living room.

The cracks and slope seem to be limited to the left side of the house. Incidentally, the driveway has a slight slope towards the house and pools at the end in front of the garage. The ground seems kind of boggy and there seems to be a little bit of sinking ground on the left side of the driveway where the water pools the most. The left side has a slight berm that covers a concrete storn drain or something.

Am I being too paranoid or are these serious issues? Otherwise, it's a lot of house for a good price. The seller agreed to have a builder (who doesn't believe the cracks are serious) come in and repair. But if they do that, I can't back out the contract without penalty, I'm sure.
Attached Thumbnails
potential foundation problems?-foundation.jpg  

sllind2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #2

Get your own engineer in there to look it over. You want to find the cause of the issue, not a cosmetic fix.
Relying on someone the owner brings in is ludicrous.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Framer

What worries me is the poor grading issue in front of the garage. That is a no no..

Find a GOOD home inspector.. and NOT Holmes Inspection lol
joeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Do it right the first time, and get a licensed home inspector who's also a licensed engineer.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #5

if you're not too far, give me a call - i'm in marietta ( c cobb )

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is online now   Reply With Quote