Posts Into Concrete - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Posts Into Concrete

Hi,
I would like to install a short run of handrailing up some 2" thick bluestone steps, (4 steps) that are set in stone/concrete. For the posts connecting the handrail/ballasters I was thinking of attaching two 4x4 PT posts (one at top and bottom) to the bluestone using an anchor plate. I wanted to drill into the flagstone, down into the rock/concrete, put in epoxy, a sleeve, then a bolt to hold the plate down. My question, is this doable? Is that strong enough for a handrail? I can't really dig hole outside the steps for the posts, because there is a lot of uneven concrete and rock. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

prod69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Posts Into Concrete

depends on the post supports you use. But yes it is doable.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,508

Posts Into Concrete

You can’t “easily” dig to the outside but that’s were I’d like to see the post.

Nothing you do on top will be "Rock Solid".

A picture would be nice.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-01-2010 at 08:00 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Posts Into Concrete

build a hollow box post with a 1" piece of allthread rod. rod drilled into tread/ step area with hydraulic cement poured around it at the step. I like to drill the hole large enough to have a nut with washer poured into the hole threaded on the rod. then a box post with a rabbit/mortise at the top that a plate will sit on with a center hole for your allthread to go thru. washer and nut and torque will lock post in place. finish post with top cap of your choice