Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

post and pier repair question

There is a one story addition on my house that is about 24' by 12' in size. There is a crawl space under the addition that is not closed in (open to the outside) and the addition is about 3 feet off the ground. The longest section of the addition is anchored to the existing house on one side. The rest of the addition is supported by a post and pier foundation set up. This consists of concrete cyliders that extend about 1 inch above grade. Then there are metal posts (with square metal end caps, custom made???) that extend from the concrete up to the addition. The metal posts seem to be filled with concrete.

Problem is that the metal is rusted through right to the concrete that is inside teh post. I'm wondering how to replace these petal posts. Can I, for example, use presure treated lumber with Simpson post bases column caps in this wet environment? When it rains the water can splash onto these posts (http://www.strongtie.com/products/ca...aps_bases.html)
Do I get a local shop to make up some replacement metal posts?

Obviously, these posts are getting wet/moist when it rains and since 1984 (when the addition was put on) they have rusted out. The metal end caps on the posts are completely rusted through on a few of the posts.

Any advice is appreciated. I just moved in and found this issue recently. Also is there any way to determine how much weight each support should take? At this point there are 6 posts around the outer perimiter of the addition.
tcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:11 AM   #2
General Contractor

No big deal doing this task, but are you sure you are qualified? I would measure the columns, and then go find a welding shop or steel fabricator in your area, and have them use a schedule 80 or even 1/4 inch wall tubing, with 1/4 inch cap plates, made to order. Then it would be a matter of a 12 ton jack or so, and a kicker, to lift the rim joist just enough to remove the old column and place the new one. Have any anchor holed drilled or cut when they are made.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:31 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I can handle the replacement work without much issue once I have the posts fabricated. Do they (the posts) have to be filled with concrete?
Old 11-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
General Contractor

Nope.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #5

One last thing. Is there a guideline or code for how many anchors are needed to secure the post in place?

Tom
Old 11-14-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
General Contractor

Now you are opening a new subject. First of all, was the addition built to code for your area/community or do you know? Secondly, since you are repairing an "existing" condition, then use what they already have in place, same type, style, etc., and you will be ok....if any doubt exists, call your local inspector.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #7

The plans for the addition are on record at the town hall and were approved. I went there and checked it out a while ago. Don't know if it means it is up to code though. I guess I'll take a close look at the hardware that is there and have a local fabrication shop make me up some replacements and replace. I guess I'll have em put in some holes for anchors if there is room. Thanks.