Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2009, 08:05 AM   #1

Share |

Post footing depth for New England?

I am extending a living room by building a wall to enclose a present niche in our house's floor plan, and doing basically a large "window seat" 15'x3'. I am digging 3 post locations (both ends and the middle) for beam bearing points. I am in CT. How deep do the post footings need to be? I think frost line in CT is like 42", but I am not really sure. Any New England contractors out there that can tell me for sure? Thanks in advance.

tpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

The best and safest way is to call the local code office and see what they require. Make sure the base of the post is large enough to support the addition without settling in the future. One of the biggest problems with additions is tying into the original construction and being able to maintain that after wood shrinkage and settlement.

A contractor from any part of NE would just be an opinion on the frost depth and never hold water when it is inspected. CT is not very far from north to south, so in reality, there could be differences from the coast (New Haven, Saybrook) to the north (Bradley airport, etc.). Since CT is so small the entire state may be under one requirement for uniformity and better controls.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #3

I agree with Dick, contact your local B.D.

Here is some good info on piers and footings to prevent frost heave: http://books.google.com/books?id=1gg...num=3#PPA31,M1
Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:12 PM   #4

Thanks. I went with the power auger and got down to the 42" Appreciate the feedback
tpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpagel View Post
Thanks. I went with the power auger and got down to the 42" Appreciate the feedback

BINGO!

That's the required depth in CT.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote