Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #1

Share |

Post and Beam installation

Hey guys. My name is Josh. New here so go easy on me. I live in a 1000 sq ft (40x25) home in a rural area. I bought this home not knowing that it was built from remnants of an old school house back in the early 50's, when code wasn't enforced. The house sits on only one 40' girder with 4 brick columns. The floor sags on one side of the girder with noisy creeking on both sides. I also noticed a few stress cracks above doorways so I decided to do a post and beam installation with 6x6's and 2x10's on both sides of the girder to increase the structural integrity of this old house. I dug the first post hole and found ground water at 1'. What should I do about pouring concrete into the post holes that have ground water? Or if there is a better way of doing this let me know I wouldn't mind to start over. Any help would appreciated greatly. Thanks in advance.

Josh

mrbojanglezzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #2

C'mon, somebody has to know something? Anyone?

Old 02-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #3

you only waited an hour for a response.... this is not a call centre....

why wouldn't you try to jack up the girder where the floor is sagging and then shim the needed column(s)??

maybe a sketch would be helpful.

rod
rditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #4

I think those that will help (most are still at "work" and not on the internet) will want pictures as stated and some dimensions of the floor plan, e.g., dimension of the 40' beam, what joists and sizes are attached, distance from beam to walls spanned by joists, spacing of brick columns, etc....
Where are you located as this has a bearing on footing depth, construction method.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #5

Thanks Rod! I am heading out right now to see if that will work. Bob I am located in Western Kentucky. I will try to make some sketches and get them on here. You'll have to excuse my impatience. I've been laid off for five months so I'm feeling a little anxious.

Last edited by mrbojanglezzzz; 02-24-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #6

A sketch or two and pictures would really help. Your project sounds interesting.

DoItMyselfToo is offline   Reply With Quote