Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
TRV

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Post Beam Connectors,Pictures

I'm replacing my lower posts on my deck and I think I ran into a problem with the post beam connectors for a 6x6 post,behind every post I need to replace there is a floor joist in the way is there a special beam connector for this application ? The post beam connector I'm trying to use is pictured below.

Also someone told me it's legal the way they installed my floor joist with no floor joist hangers when the deck was built back in the 80's all they did was run a 2x2 under the joists the full length of the deck. Is this true ? You can see it in the picture below ,Do you think I can add hangers on each joist by making a very small notch to slide a hanger on them ?
Attached Thumbnails
Post Beam Connectors,Pictures-deck-003.jpg   Post Beam Connectors,Pictures-deck-002.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by TRV; 07-07-2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Add Picture
TRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #2

Can't quite viualize your issue with the post/beam connection -close-up pics would help.
As regards the 2x2, this may or may not have been permissible in 80s codes, though I doubt it as it is not regarded as good practice. This is because all the load from the joists is being supported by the fixings of the 2x2 to the perimeter beam. These will be of unknown type, size and spacing, and may welll have rusted to an extent. Joist hangers would probably be more acceptable to your inspector nowadays.
Having said that, it's still there after all those years; some things don't work in theory, but do in practice.

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Your deck does not meet current code requirements, as you are clearly aware. I can't tell from your post if you are trying to bring your deck into compliance with current code. If so, you need to talk to the building inspector, bring in a plan.

The issue with the post is that your joists are attached to a rim joist, not to a beam. The rim joist is almost certainly undersized by current standards, and as you noted the method of attaching the joists to the rim joists without hangers is not code compliant. There are two standard methods for attaching a vertical post and a horizontal beam, one uses the type of bracket you showed, which will not work in your case because of the joist which gets in the way. The other method is to notch the post to accept the beam. In your case, the rim joist is not a doubled member, and would therefore have to be replaced if you want to meet current IRC code.

So it comes down to this. If you want to meet code, there is some serious work ahead. If you do not need to meet code, or don't care if you do meet code, there is more flexibility. Let us know, there are potential outside code solutions to the connection issue.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
TRV (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
TRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Your deck does not meet current code requirements, as you are clearly aware. I can't tell from your post if you are trying to bring your deck into compliance with current code. If so, you need to talk to the building inspector, bring in a plan.

The issue with the post is that your joists are attached to a rim joist, not to a beam. The rim joist is almost certainly undersized by current standards, and as you noted the method of attaching the joists to the rim joists without hangers is not code compliant. There are two standard methods for attaching a vertical post and a horizontal beam, one uses the type of bracket you showed, which will not work in your case because of the joist which gets in the way. The other method is to notch the post to accept the beam. In your case, the rim joist is not a doubled member, and would therefore have to be replaced if you want to meet current IRC code.

So it comes down to this. If you want to meet code, there is some serious work ahead. If you do not need to meet code, or don't care if you do meet code, there is more flexibility. Let us know, there are potential outside code solutions to the connection issue.
It's funny you mention my building department because that's the first place I went for help ,Their answer was to do what I needed to do.But yes for my own piece of mind I would like to bring it up to code.

I was thinking beam because the rim joist is setting on the posts,but I see what your saying it's a rim joist.The rim joist is a double 2x8 is it still under sized ?

I don't know if you noticed but above each is another post supporting the deck roof.

If I were to notch the new 6x6 is that acceptable under IRC code ? And if so wouldn't I have to notch enough to allow for the 2x8's plus the 2x2 that would leave me 1" to fasten to the 2x8 with ,would there be enough of meat there to attach too the 2x8 ?

Thank you for your time and reply !!!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Civil Engineer

You need to get a copy of the appropriate code for your area, you can usually get a copy from the building department. If not, there are various year IRC codes on line, my town uses 2006 IRC, many times use a more current version.

In any case, 6x6 is the standard post size, at least in IRC 2006. The notch is cut full width, or typically 3 inches, since the beams are almost always doubled members. Whether a doubled 2x8 is adequate size depends on your span, what type of lumber you are using, and which code you operate under. IRC typically does not allow use of a 2x2 to support the joists, they are required to be supported using hangers. There are several different ways the joists can be attached to center beams, there are diagrams of allowable methods in the Prescriptive Guide. Again, this is only important if you want to meet code, which will require major rebuilding of your deck. If the building inspector does not require that you meet code, for whatever reasons, you may want to consider alternative solutions due to cost issues.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
TRV (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4

TRV,

this document is based upon the 2009 International Residential Code (IRC) for Residential Wooden Decks. Your code requirements may be slightly different. A call to the building department should provide you with what your current code is.

http://www.awc.org/publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

This will provide you with the information you would need to follow in building a code compliant deck based upon the 2009 IRC code. The code is revised every 3 years so previous editions would be the 2000, 2003, and 2006 IRC. This is the basis for most state/local building codes.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (07-07-2012), TRV (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
TRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
You need to get a copy of the appropriate code for your area, you can usually get a copy from the building department. If not, there are various year IRC codes on line, my town uses 2006 IRC, many times use a more current version.

In any case, 6x6 is the standard post size, at least in IRC 2006. The notch is cut full width, or typically 3 inches, since the beams are almost always doubled members. Whether a doubled 2x8 is adequate size depends on your span, what type of lumber you are using, and which code you operate under. IRC typically does not allow use of a 2x2 to support the joists, they are required to be supported using hangers. There are several different ways the joists can be attached to center beams, there are diagrams of allowable methods in the Prescriptive Guide. Again, this is only important if you want to meet code, which will require major rebuilding of your deck. If the building inspector does not require that you meet code, for whatever reasons, you may want to consider alternative solutions due to cost issues.
Daniel,The SQ. FT. of the deck is less than 192 sq.because it raps around a fireplace ,total is 24' in length ,It might be red wood or P.T not sure because it's stained . The span is 8' of that 8' of the deck only has a 6' span that's middle of the deck. currently there are 2x6 joists 24" o.c the the 5' span 8' wide is 16" o.c .what are the alternative solutions ? Thank you for your replies.