Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

Post action review of my last 2 weeks off work

Arg, this lap top likes to accidentally pretend I hit a back button when I didn't.

I'll tell the short version of my last 2 weeks. My project involves digging 27 footings for 4 triple 2x10 beams for my 93 year old house that has no foundation. Before the week started, I had 9 footings poured and 6 more ready to pour (dug, forms set, inspection completed).

During week 1 I cleared obstructions for 3 more footings. During week 2 I dug those 3 footings (see picture showing 5 gallon buckets containing the dirt for 1 whole footing excavation), had them inspected and mixed and poured 64 bags of concrete.

Since I had 9 footings ready to pour I decided to rent a mixer. I intended to try to go through 72 bags, but 64 was enough for me in a 24 hour period working by myself, hauling mixed concrete into a crawlspace 1 5 gallon bucket at a time.

I also included a photo showing the hole dug for footing #4 of beam #1. The forms are not yet in place. The other 2 holes will be on the other side of the plumbing shown on the right, and are considerably harder to access.
Attached Thumbnails
Post action review of my last 2 weeks off work-2-tons-concrete-bags.jpg   Post action review of my last 2 weeks off work-beam-1-post-4-hole-dug.jpg   Post action review of my last 2 weeks off work-dirt-beam-1-post-4.jpg  

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
JOATMON

Post action review of my last 2 weeks off work

Of anyone, I can appreciate what your going through......oh boy....what a project.....

I went through something similar when I was doing the foundation for my 2-story addition...I had to pour 2 footings and 4 girders under my existing house....but I used a pumper to get the concrete in....but I still feel your pain....and my body still achs from mine....so will yours.

Keep us posted with the pics....interesting project.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote