Possible To Move A Stairway ? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2009, 12:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to markee

Possible to move a stairway ?

Looking to find a possible solution to this project

What I was hoping to do is relocate my laundry room upstairs to a attic space located in my sons room. It nice unused area right next to a bathroom with all the water and drain access .
Then I would close the entrance to it from inside the bedroom because it don't make sense to have to enter the laundry room from inside my kids room and open it on the other side of the wall.
Problem is when punched a nail thought the wall where i want to make the entrance it comes out over the top of the stairway

Can anyone think of a solution that won't brake the bank ?
Build a landing ?
Move the stairs some how ?
Attached Thumbnails
Possible to move a stairway ?-nail-hole.jpg   Possible to move a stairway ?-stairway-edit.jpg   Possible to move a stairway ?-dsc00427.jpg   Possible to move a stairway ?-dsc00429.jpg   Possible to move a stairway ?-dsc00432.jpg  

Possible to move a stairway ?-dsc00456.jpg  

Advertisement

markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by markee View Post
Build a landing ?
Move the stairs some how ?
You could build a landing, provided that here was enough room at the bottom of the stairs to move them stairs outwards to provide for a code compliant landing without the stairs becoming too steep to meet code and while still providing adequate clearance at the bottom of the stairs. You could not just relocate those stairs in their current configuration however as they do not meet modern code (open risers, balusters which prevent hand rail from being readily graspable, for starters).

Advertisement

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 11-23-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,052

I would concerned someone wrapped the purlin with cedar wood and removed the supporting struts, severely weakening that side of the roof structure. I hope no one sleeps up there next to an exposed mechanical pipes and attic with a louvered door separating them. A proper sized egress window is required for this bedroom. You may want to examine this if someone before you finished the attic (unsafely): http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...s-windows.aspx

Be safe, Gary