Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #1

Share |

Possible foundation, door gap problems

In this house we just bought, I had a foundation guy come inspect it. He acknowledged that it wasn't an engineer's report but he checked it out and didn't see any problems. In this area of N. Texas, it's very common for foundations to settle and create problems.

The front door is slightly out of alignment as far as gaps. It looks like it is tilted slghtly to the right - (looking from the inside of the house to the outside of the house) meaning that the bottom right of the door has a gap. The top right of the door has a tighter gap. The top left of the door has a gap and the bottom left of the door has a tighter gap.

The back door has the same problem but is exaggerated I guess because the door was installed by a DIY'er? It has HUGE gaps almost all the way around the door. Larger than any weatherstripping could ever make up for.

I'm not crazy about the front door anyways and would like to get a better insulated door anyways. The back door itself is fine but I'm not comfortable with such huge gaps. If a new front door is installed, can the installer compensate for the gaps and settlement of the foundation? For the back door, can the large gaps be fixed and the same door just be re-hung?

What type of person do I look for to do this type of work? Carpenter?

Jemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Possible foundation, door gap problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemo View Post
If a new front door is installed, can the installer compensate for the gaps and settlement of the foundation? For the back door, can the large gaps be fixed and the same door just be re-hung?

What type of person do I look for to do this type of work? Carpenter?
To answer your questions: An experienced carpenter can fix it all....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote