DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   Possible to create cold room from this mistake? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/possible-create-cold-room-mistake-121225/)

Noob1 10-25-2011 12:23 AM

Possible to create cold room from this mistake?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Our front porch was mistakenly given a cement foundation this week. The inside wall was tarred today. It is 10 feet deep. The narrow end leads to mech room so would be convenient placement for door if we made the into a cold room.
What do we need to do to turn this into a cold room? i.e. what do we cover the tar wall with? What kind of insulation? Concerns with ventilation?
Any advice would be appreciated.

I have attached a pic of the area before tar was applied to inner wall.

oh'mike 10-25-2011 06:18 AM

Call your architect---He (or she) will know the answer and sign off on the plans---

I don't see a problem--But the inspectors might without a stamped change on the plans.

chrisn 10-25-2011 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noob1 (Post 756229)
Our front porch was mistakenly given a cement foundation this week. The inside wall was tarred today. It is 10 feet deep. The narrow end leads to mech room so would be convenient placement for door if we made the into a cold room.
What do we need to do to turn this into a cold room? i.e. what do we cover the tar wall with? What kind of insulation? Concerns with ventilation?
Any advice would be appreciated.

I have attached a pic of the area before tar was applied to inner wall.


Wow:eek: you seem pretty calm about that! Good for you trying to make something good happen with it all:thumbsup:

joed 10-25-2011 07:16 AM

Even if you insulate it and make it a a warm room. I would definitely try to get the extra space included in the basement.
The expense of cutting a door through the foundation might make it not cost effective however.

I wouldn't call that a mistake however. Once the hole was dug the foundation needed to be full height or would not be properly supported. If any mistake was made it was in the digging.

gregzoll 10-25-2011 11:39 AM

Depending on the width, you could build a pressure treated frame to frame for a exterior type door, where that hallway enters. Can you post another picture that shows the entrance to that space, or the complete foundation for the basement.

jomama45 10-25-2011 12:29 PM

The front stoop/porch should always get a foundation, the depth is the only thing in question. As joed stated, the error appears to be with the excavator, if it even is an error. If the house is sticking out of the ground, or poor soil conditions exist closer to the surface it only makes sense to jump it down to full height with the foundation.

As for the opening, yes, of course you can put a door in there, just need to get it approved by the building dept. I would cut the opening from footing to top of wall, have the rest filled in with wood, and have the floor joist system re-calculated to include a header (depending on which way the floor joists go) over the sawed opening.

As for the tar, it's best just to leave it alone right now, paint over it & forget it. The exterior of the stoop needs to get tarred, draintiled, stoned, and insulated though if you indeed want to make use of this additional space under the stoop.

BTW, they didn't install any anchor bolts or straps either.................

Noob1 10-25-2011 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What is the significance of no anchor bolts or straps?

Its going to cost 6-800 dollars to knock in a door. Then need to factor in cement ceiling cost, steel door with insulation, spray foam on ceiling etc. Then I hear of some people still getting condensation on the inside of this type of arrangement. Not sure if we should go for it or not.

Here's the other pic I have of the area looking at the narrow opening where the door would go.

Thanks for all the help so far.

gregzoll 10-25-2011 02:13 PM

There really will be no way of putting a door in there, unless you mind having a concrete saw used to cut it. Then they would have to frame with pressure treated, and place a header at the top, before the sill plate goes down. Review with the architect and GC and go from there.

Oh-Fudge 10-25-2011 03:36 PM

put a trap door in the porch, it'll be a good place to keep the bodies.....hehehe, Oops, wrong forum! :devil2:

Noob1 10-25-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oh-Fudge (Post 756587)
put a trap door in the porch, it'll be a good place to keep the bodies.....hehehe, Oops, wrong forum! :devil2:

So tempting...:laughing:

Joe Carola 10-25-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noob1 (Post 756546)
What is the significance of no anchor bolts or straps?

Are you serious?

oh'mike 10-25-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Carola (Post 756705)
Are you serious?

No anchor bolts makes it easier to lift up the house for spring cleaning.:whistling2:

gregzoll 10-25-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 756764)
No anchor bolts makes it easier to lift up the house for spring cleaning.:whistling2:

Or Fall, or in our case a year ago, a New Year's Eve cleaning up, before baby New year showed up.

High Gear 10-25-2011 09:03 PM

The mistake made was they should have put in a doorway ,

otherwise why go full depth ( and expense) on the porch.

I'd say the concrete contractors owe you a doorway.

So are you in tornado alley also?

Noob1 10-25-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Gear (Post 756773)
The mistake made was they should have put in a doorway ,

otherwise why go full depth ( and expense) on the porch.

I'd say the concrete contractors owe you a doorway.

So are you in tornado alley also?

No- not tornado alley.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved