Is It Possible - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

is it possible

i have just purchased a sectional 9'x7' (4 section) garage door. I would like to install this door to a carport. The width of the carport is 9'7" and the height from ground to top (base of joist) is 7'5". Question ? Can i install this sectional garage door in this opening? How should i do up the framing? also i would like to install an automatic opener . Do i have enough headroom to fit the opener?. OR can i take one of the top section and trim it so that the final height with all 4 section together becomes 6'6" .
PS: to trim off the top section to make its width smaller would make the top section look ugly? if i have to do that is there an easy way of doing it. Thanks

Advertisement

rodrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

is it possible

The size of the door must coincide with the rough opening. No way to fake it.

Honestly, I don't consider a garage door a DIY project. (and I consider most things DIY projects). There are too many tricks to doing it, and there are too many safety concerns. I once saw people cleaning up a bloody mess after a jobsite accident with a garage door. A framer was removing the torsion bar assembly to gain access to work on a framing problem. The bar, under spring pressure, literally removed his entire lower jaw.

If you can take that door back, I'd suggest doing so. Contact a garage door company (not a box store...too expensive) and get some bids for the rough opening that you want. You might be surprised...Garage doors aren't always that expensive.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

is it possible

First, you don't have enough width for a 9' door. Second, even with low clearance track, I doubt you can make the height work. Cutting down the top panel is not a good idea for a couple of reasons, foremost being that you will need to also cut the track which is engineered to bring the door closer to the stop as it decends. You will also upset the weight balance between the door and spring capacity. Termite is right. Most times overhead doors are not a good DIY project and with the less than ideal conditions you face, you could create a nightmare for yourself.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

is it possible

point taken. Actually its a used garage door that i have purchased so returning it is not an option. its in good shape. Its a wayne delton model 36 with a torque master system. I measured the door section and all 4 door together measures 6' 9" (81") and not 7', and there is a sticker on the torque master spring rod that has door size 6' 6" checked off. Can it be that this door is actually 6' 6" in height. Is there a garage door installed on this site that can l confirm? Since this is a 8 year old door and i don't have the manual and the manufacturers web site does not have any info on the site for this particular door, does anyone know where can i obtain the info for this door?. A new door 6' 6" cost $550 and i got this door for less than 1/3 the price. I am willing to have a contractor come and install the door if i know the correct size etc. For Maintenance 6 : the width i think will give me enough room on both side ie 3" on either side for side jamb ( two 2x4). I would like to do the framing myself. I have build a deck before so framing is not a problem. Just need the above info, any expert out there. cheers
rodrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

is it possible

As a general rule, you frame the opening the same size as the door. If you assemble one complete track and stand it up, you should be able to decide if you have enough clearance. Keep in mind that the door will ride higher than the track in the open position. This door has torsion springs which can be dangerous to adjust. There is a lot of stored energy in a garage door spring.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote