Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Porch Swing Help

So my parents are vacationing, and while they are gone I am going to hang a porch swing on their front porch. However, there's a slight issue...I can't tell where the rafters are from the underneath side of the porch ceiling. I'm handy with a drill, but ignorant when it comes to regulation measurements and what not.

Does anyone have an option better than wading through the insulation in the attic and poking a small nail or something through the siding by a beam?

x-factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Porch Swing Help

Are the rafter tails exposed at the soffits or look for a gutter nail. A small magnet will locate the ceiling joists or a electronic stud finder. Try rapping on the ceiling material with a knuckle listening for a change in pitch. Look for exposed soffit nails. If a ranch with trusses, find a truss in the living room adjacent. Thermal imaging camera, or a non-contact thermometer. Send me air-fare round-trip, we'll really surprise them, I'll even hang it for you!

Gary

Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #3

Porch Swing Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Are the rafter tails exposed at the soffits or look for a gutter nail. A small magnet will locate the ceiling joists or a electronic stud finder. Try rapping on the ceiling material with a knuckle listening for a change in pitch. Look for exposed soffit nails. If a ranch with trusses, find a truss in the living room adjacent. Thermal imaging camera, or a non-contact thermometer. Send me air-fare round-trip, we'll really surprise them, I'll even hang it for you!

Gary
haha, thanks for the help Gary...but if I could afford a round trip ticket + lodging...I'd just pay a handy-man!

'preciate it!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #4

Porch Swing Help

Can someone just tell me the best way to remove the vinyl from the porch ceiling? And is it a temporary thing -- or will I have to get new vinyl?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #5

Porch Swing Help

There is a tool you can get that will disengage the siding. It releases the bottom edge so you can access the area above. Once you release the bottom edge, you can discern the ceiling joists. then you can install the eye bolts to hang the swing.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,456

Porch Swing Help

This is the tool Ron is talking about.
http://homerepair.about.com/od/exter...ng_ziptool.htm

A vinyl siding supply company will carry it, cost about $8.
ABC Supply, Allied Building Products, not sure about the box stores though.

Look in the phone book for Siding Materials.

Yes, you can remove and replace the vinyl without damaging it.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 10-07-2010 at 07:08 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #7

Porch Swing Help

I think you mean the soffit material, scroll toward the end here: http://www.vinylsiding.org/publicati...2007Manual.pdf

Gary