Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #1

Share |

Porch support....

I recently took a 3 season porch and enclosed it. I added a half bathroom and small Jotul wood stove. It measures about 10x10. As you can see in the photo, there are 2 footings, one on the left and one on the right. The 2 4x4 posts in the middle are just hanging there, no support is being provided. The footings are supporting 2 x 10's that run the span. I was thinking of digging 2 - 8 inch footings with sonotubes 48 inches down around 1 foot in or so from each 4x4 and supporting that with 6x6 PT. Will that work or should I go with 3?
Attached Images

chipbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Porch support....

The very best advice I can give you on this is to consult a professional (engineer) to design this for you. He will make plans that you can follow for the construction. It might seem expensive to you but will be well worth the money.
Get the proper permits for your local so that the Building Department can check the engineer's specs. With permits in hand start building all or part of it to those specs (get a contractor if you don't think you have the skills or knowledge for some of the project) and have fun building.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #3

Porch support....

Thanks Andy. I feel very confident that I could do the job myself. I will certainly get the proper permit(s) before starting.
chipbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Porch support....

I am sure you can do the work, I merely suggest having a pro design the work, draw a plan and then you do the work.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote