Porch Screening Choices - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 282
Question

Porch Screening Choices

I am renovating my screen porch and was a little surprised by the choice in selection of screening. There is aluminum and fiberglass and everything from black to almost a white polished metal. What are the benefits and downsides of each type of screening and what would you recommend?

Advertisement

tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

Porch Screening Choices

Vinyl screening is by far the most used now a days. It is easier to install and holds up well in the weather.
As for color or style. This depends on you and your tastes. Other than the size of the grid they all will do the job. There is new screening out that you can hardly see and then there is screening that is hard for the outside to see in. All this is your choice and you and your family are the best ones to choose.
Look at some samples at a screen shop they can explain the differences and will be able to actually see the difference in their displays. Standard screen is the most prevalent.

Advertisement

One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 282

Porch Screening Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinConst View Post
Vinyl screening is by far the most used now a days. It is easier to install and holds up well in the weather.
As for color or style. This depends on you and your tastes. Other than the size of the grid they all will do the job. There is new screening out that you can hardly see and then there is screening that is hard for the outside to see in. All this is your choice and you and your family are the best ones to choose.
Look at some samples at a screen shop they can explain the differences and will be able to actually see the difference in their displays. Standard screen is the most prevalent.
You recommend Vinyl as opposed to fiberglass?
tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #4
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

Porch Screening Choices

No I just call it vinyl. My bad.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Porch Screening Choices

Fiberglass screen with 'screentite' moldings works very well. Itwill keep screens tight for years. There is one porch I did 8 yrs ago and the screen is still as tight as when it was installed. It also makes repacing damaged screens easier.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote