Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Porch roof ledger attachment and flashing

Hello, I'm building a porch roof (shed roof). In doing this I plan to attach 2 ledgers to my house. I'll have a 2X 10 as the top ledger for the roof and then a 2X8 for ceiling joists.

To attach the ledgers here is what I plan to do.
1. Take off the siding
2. Cut the house wrap and put a membrane on the house sheathing.
3. Put the house wrap under the membrane at it's bottom
4. Attach the ledger (pressure treated) to the house (without any washers or spacing behind) with ledger lok. The top ledeger woudl be on the wall studs and the bottom ledger would be on the rim joist.
5. Put some sort of flashing (not aluminum) where the flashing would go behind the house wrap and then extend over the ledger. (Do I even need to flash the lower ledger because the roof above should cover it?)
6. Put plywood on the roof and the flash again so that the flashing goes under the house wrap and over the shingles (or should it go under the shingle?)

Do I really need to flash twice or should I only flash on top of the shingles and expect that to keep the ledger dry. I think I could just do it once.

Thanks
Hick

hick23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hick23
Hello, I'm building a porch roof (shed roof). In doing this I plan to attach 2 ledgers to my house. I'll have a 2X 10 as the top ledger for the roof and then a 2X8 for ceiling joists.

To attach the ledgers here is what I plan to do.
1. Take off the siding
2. Cut the house wrap and put a membrane on the house sheathing.
3. Put the house wrap under the membrane at it's bottom
4. Attach the ledger (pressure treated) to the house (without any washers or spacing behind) with ledger lok. The top ledeger woudl be on the wall studs and the bottom ledger would be on the rim joist.
5. Put some sort of flashing (not aluminum) where the flashing would go behind the house wrap and then extend over the ledger. (Do I even need to flash the lower ledger because the roof above should cover it?)
6. Put plywood on the roof and the flash again so that the flashing goes under the house wrap and over the shingles (or should it go under the shingle?)

Do I really need to flash twice or should I only flash on top of the shingles and expect that to keep the ledger dry. I think I could just do it once.

Thanks
Hick
No flashing twice an no pt ledger. The top ledger gets flashed after the sheathing is done along with putting the roof on. No need at all for flashing on the ceiling joists ledger.

hick23 (08-18-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #3

Thanks, so I don't need a PT ledger - I was thinking that would be needed - I guess no water would get to it though - so not needed - that way I guess I can use aluminum flashing too.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #4

Correct hick.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hick23 View Post
Thanks, so I don't need a PT ledger - I was thinking that would be needed - I guess no water would get to it though - so not needed - that way I guess I can use aluminum flashing too.
demo siding, build porch, get it dried in -osb, felt paper. Roof porch, put flashing over top of roofing against wall and then put siding back on. done

if you want to go with functional flashing consider a flashing wall vent combo that allows air flow and could increase roofing material life span. You need soffit ventilation to go along with the wall vent...

Last edited by hand drive; 08-18-2012 at 05:06 PM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
demo siding, build porch, get it dried in -osb, felt paper. Roof porch, put flashing over top of roofing against wall and then put siding back on. done
The porch is just a covered porch - so aside from the roof it is open. Still shouldn't be any water getting to the ledger - but in general the porch is open.

Hick