Porch Roof - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Porch roof

Looking for some suggestions here..

quick over view.. I have a 4/12 pitch roof on my cabin 24' wide. I would like to add 12' out keeping the same roof line 4/12 creating a covered porch. I would just tie into the same roof and just continue out the 12' with shingles.

Now the question. I am thinking of sinking 4x6's into ground cement them in and run 2x8's as headers to support the new 4/12 pitch trusses. And should I tie the 1st set of 4x6's to the house wall or keep the freestanding (so to speak) if I keep them free standing then the roof would only be attached where the old roof meets the new roof (1 truss). Might be a tad worried about the roof flexing in high winds and stressing the joint at the old roof vs new roof..

Looking for any ideas on this..
Thanks Andy

Advertisement

abagoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
addition , porch , roof