Porch Problem Advice - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Porch Problem Advice

I've got a rather odd porch problem. As you can see from the images, the porch roof line on my house is below the house roof line. Roofwater runs right on down to the corners of the porch roof and as you might expect and pours off. There's also some siding missing there which allows some to get behind the siding.

http://transcorp.parodius.com/scratchpad/porch1.jpg
http://transcorp.parodius.com/scratchpad/porch2.jpg

1. I'm at a complete loss on how I can stop the roof water runoff. Has anybody seen a problem like this before?

2. I guess I can try to jam a piece of aluminum/flashing up there where the original aluminum siding is missing to stop the water from getting under the siding. The porch is pretty tight against the house. It may be difficult.

3. Who would do this kind of work on a professional level if I can't do it myself?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Advertisement

Nightcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 152

Porch Problem Advice

A qualified siding contractor may have a piece of that aluminum to patch the missing piece,but I'd also have the edge of that roof flashed where it meets the siding.
You could just bend a couple of pieces of step flashing and push them under the shingles to divert the water away from the house for now.

Also clean out the debris in that valley and ensure the gutter isn't backing up there to add to the problem.

Advertisement

Last edited by oldfrt; 09-22-2009 at 07:49 PM.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Porch Problem Advice

Step flashing is the answer! The siding in that area can be simply be removed, the step flashing installed and the siding replaced, over the step flashing.
You should have an eaves trough on the porch fascia as well! The main gutter could empty into the porch gutter, if necessary.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote