Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Porch floor is "soft" around perimeter... how to fix?

I have a wooden porch that is surrounded by a brick knee wall on the perimeter. The wood around the edge is soft from years of porch roof leaks. It is 1300 square feet and I do not want to replace the entire floor. Is there something I could put around the perimeter over the existing porch floor to stiffen it up? Like one plank of pressure treated decking around the edge over the soft stuff? There is no access to under the porch unless I lift up the porch boards. I was thinking that if I did this I could drill some weep holes here and there so that the water doesn't get trapped against this board. But the porch floor hardly looks sloped at all and the roof overhang is at least 36". I'm sure the rot is from the roof leaking so badly and not any rain blowing in from under the roof. What do you think? I can't redo the porch floor right now...
Thanks...

h82diet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
DIY staff

A picture would help----

If the floor sheeting is stringy and soft it is rotten---probably unsupported at that edge and just supported 14 1/2" away at the next joist----

There is no temporary fix if that is the case---I suggest you cut an access hole and see what is really happening under there---Mike--

Old 11-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #3

I had the same thing happen to my porch in my previous house. Rain would come in and leak on the edges (in the summer, the sides were screened, so a lot of rain could come in on the floor, and drainage was non-existent, it was a sheet of plywood). The fix was to remove the floor, which meant removing the walls, since the walls were laid on top of the floor. Sounds like a big job, but it really wasn't. Agree with Mike though, cut a hole close to the joists so you can see what is happening, though likely it is weather rot. The access hole will also tell you just how much rot you are dealing with, in my case some of the joists were gone and needed to be replaced, so just laying new floor on top would have been a short term fix for me.
dougp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #4

Since I am broke and paying off the $6300 porch roof job I just had done, I need a temp fix so that someone's foot doesn't bust through these soft areas. I want to know if putting a decking plank down will make it worse by trapping water under there... though with freezing weather here now, it won't be raining that much.
h82diet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
DIY staff

Definitely lay some solid wood over the bad---safety first---repair later--Make that cover piece big enough to get you back to some good wood.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #6

I'd open the area to see if it's wet(or moist). You don't want to trap moisture under the floor. Is it's dry, lay plywood around the perimeter.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #7

Hi!. It's incredible how many people post a problem that is structural or weather dependent and reasonably serious and then claim they have no money to make repairs. All we can do is to advise the basic minimum to make things safe. Often this costs half as much or more to do than it would to do the job properly in the first place. As the cheapest short fix, I would suggest you run safety tape around the area to warn people to keep away, then do the job properly when you have the money. Photos help enormously, to show the severity and existing conditions. So does a full description of events , materials and existing condtions, facing which way the weather dominates, and juicy bits of information that can drammatically alter the advice. Remember there are other people out there who may have similar problems and act on the advice, so one has to careful that what they advise is soundly based and fully explain what and where the advice applies to. A rotted floor cannot be cosmetically fixed and problem solved for more than a short period, in fact the problem can easily be made worse by extending the rot, so please don't expect miracles.

Cheers from the land of Oz.

JoJo-Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoJo-Arch For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-18-2011)