Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
EspressoMan

Share |

PORCH: To Enclose or not to Enclose...

Last summer I demolished a terribly rotton front porch on the fixer-upper starter home we bought. I had a concrete slab about 6 inches thick poured in it's place and I am supporting the roof with 4x4 treaded beams.

My wife and I are thinking of enclosing the porch. The framing would not be a problem. It should be simple. The sheathing should be easly too. The question I have is about the foundation.

We live in Western New York and the building codes require a 3 ft. foundation because of of the deep frost line. Since this porch is on a conrete slab with no footing/foundation, can/should I encluse the porch or not?

TIA
singforsupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
Contractor

Experts will be along soon, but I would say no. The frost heave at my NC home is about 2", I would expect yours to be the same or worse. That is major flexing on a structure.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:46 PM   #3
EspressoMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetorbilt
Experts will be along soon, but I would say no. The frost heave at my NC home is about 2", I would expect yours to be the same or worse. That is major flexing on a structure.
Thanks Teetorbilt. Your advice concurs with others I have spoken to since I posted this thread. The consensus is NO. Don't do it. I have decided to folllow that advice and just keep the porch.
singforsupper is offline   Reply With Quote