Porch Ceiling Occasional Ice Dam Leak - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

porch ceiling occasional ice dam leak

I have a porch that was enclosed many years ago. It has original beadboard ceiling. I don't know if there is insulation up there unless I take out some of ceiling. Ok, every couple of years, I get a leak through the ceiling after we have heavy snow and then melt/freeze. Looking for wisdom on whether this is more about the roof needing repair or something to do with the porch being heated and not insulated. Any thoughts welcome. I am a complete newbie and trying to teach myself.

Advertisement

pfazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 688

Post a picture.
Most enclosed porchs I've got stuck working on do not have enough slope, no or not enough insulation, and no venting. All great ways to get a roof leak from a ice dam.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
pfazio (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Well, the most obvious question here is...do you witness ice dams forming? If so, then that's almost certainly due to insufficient insulation and/or insufficient venting in the attic space.

Now, is that the cause of your leak? Could be. If the leak is in the middle of the ceiling, it's less likely (but not impossible) and you might have a roof leak. If the leak is near the walls, it's likely caused by the ice dams.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
Well, the most obvious question here is...do you witness ice dams forming? If so, then that's almost certainly due to insufficient insulation and/or insufficient venting in the attic space.

Now, is that the cause of your leak? Could be. If the leak is in the middle of the ceiling, it's less likely (but not impossible) and you might have a roof leak. If the leak is near the walls, it's likely caused by the ice dams.
Well, that is interesting. The leak does drip from center of porch.
pfazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfazio View Post
Well, that is interesting. The leak does drip from center of porch.
It could be a roof leak instead of an ice dam issue, then. But if you don't see the problem during heavy rains, then I'm doubtful that's the case and you what may be happenings is that the water that backs up from the ice dam rolls down a sagging joist and releases near the center of the ceiling.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ice dam , porch ceiing , roof