Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
HVAC / Plumbing

Share |

popcorn texture question

my house is about 23 yrs old & all the ceilings have popcorn texture. The texture started comming down in the bathroom. I removed all of it & tried to finish myself. I found that this isn't as easy as I 1st thought. I'am going to call in a dry wall person to straighten this out. Should I have him to float & finist smooth & paint , or just re-apply popcorn texture ?? Will it look odd to have a finished ceiling in the bath with the rest of the house in popcorn ??
opinions welcome

Thanks

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #2

popcorn texture question

You really ought to consider doing a knockdown texture! It looks better than popcorn and is pretty easy for a DIYer to do. It is also a good way to hide minor little mudding/taping mistakes that are pretty much impossible to hide with a smooth finish. Popcorn is soooo 1980's!

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #3

popcorn texture question

I'm scraping off all of my popcorn
It leaves a textured surface which I just paint
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Newbie Bill

popcorn texture question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I'm scraping off all of my popcorn
It leaves a textured surface which I just paint
ScubaDave, I'm having a hard time picturing what you are doing. Do you have any photos of what the end product looks like?

We will be redoing our ceiling in our Kitchen and always open to different ideas.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

popcorn texture question

I'm a big advocate of "slick" ceilings. Easiest to repair if there's a problem down the line. I do a lot of repairs on textured ceilings, but I'd still rather fix one that's painted. Going to a "knockdown" from "popcorn" is the lesser of two evils. It's not a big deal to sand and mud it out for paint (you might want to get a pro). I think what Dave is talking about is just lightly scraping the "styrene" off and you end up with a sort of texture. Again, you still have a texture to deal with if you have a problem later on.........
Old 02-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
Newbie Bill

popcorn texture question

Thanks bjb,

I think I kinda get the idea. I would still like to see a photo. Just in case our kitchen ceiling cannot be made "slick" without a great deal of trouble, it is always nice to have a back up plan.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #7

popcorn texture question

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
ScubaDave, I'm having a hard time picturing what you are doing. Do you have any photos of what the end product looks like?

We will be redoing our ceiling in our Kitchen and always open to different ideas.
No - I actually haven't taken any of that area
So far I've done very little, small bathroom area & then the hallway
I'm waiting until we move upstairs to redo the downstairs ceilings
I'm simply "lightly" scraping off the bumpy stuff & leaving the textured ceiling
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #8

popcorn texture question

Did you guys know that old popcorn texture can contain asbestos and you shouldn't be messing with it without testing.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Drywall contractor

popcorn texture question

Jogr, thanks for the reminder. Yes absolutely it CAN contain asbestos. This question comes up so often I sometimes forget if that has been brought up in the particular thread I'm looking at or not. Pre-1980 there's a pretty good chance there is asbestos. A lot of the gypsum companies were working on elimimnating asbestos in the late '70s, but there was likely a good bit of product around "on the shelf" right up until the "outlaw" date (1981 I think??). You should get it tested if in doubt. The main reason you would have a lot of trouble removing the texture is if it has been painted, otherwise it should come off relatively easily. And you can always add another layer of drywall over what's there. Not too difficult, especially in a small area like a bath........