Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pool Site Excavation Question

Hello all, I consider myself an extreme DIYer however I have no experience in pool building but this will not stop me from being my own General Contractor for my in ground pool project.

The site that I have picked out for my pool will actually need to be graded up and raised by about 3' total. The majority of this "new" dirt will be removed to make the actual hole for the pool. my question is:

Is it a better practice to completely grade the new area and use a soil compactor at various stages of the ground build up to firmly pack the entire area, AND then excavate the pool.

OR

Do I just level the existing area and proceed with setting the pool walls and then back-fill everything back to the correct grade.

The reason I ask is that I keep reading that "overdigging" the over dig area is a bad thing when digging a pool. Is this just becasue it creates more work in the end becasue of all the extra back filling with non expanding material or is this because the disturbed ground does not provide enough support for the pool walls, water weight etc.

Thanks so much for reading and offering any suggestions!
Rob

ProDIYer is offline   Reply With Quote