Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #1

Share |

Pool Cement Apron Issue

I had an Inground Pool installed in 2007 that appeared to be absolutely gorgious for a year. That is until I noticed a large separation in the concrete by my diving board. When the pool was installed a 5 foot retaining wall also had to be added due to the slope in the property. The pool company had to build up the low end to level the pool and stated that they did everything that they needed to do to ensure that there were no issues.

I called the pool company regarding the concrete slippage which is now 2 1/2 inches wide and is pulling the coping on the corner of the pool. When I asked the pool company to fix it due to poor workmanship they told me that my landscaping was the problem! The said that because I selected egg rock as my ground cover it caused water to seep between the pool wall and the concrete to separate! But the rest of the ground is fine and the concrete is still in terrible shape.

Has anyone ever heard of this issue and is the pool company right? They also never discussed any landscaping issues of what could or couldnt be used around a pool.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Allen

ajdevoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #2

Pool Cement Apron Issue

Unless you're willing to spend money on an engineer to find out what the issue actually is, I can't see the pool company doing anything. They might not do anything anyway.
In any case you would need to find the cause before you proceed with anything.
Was a permit pulled and inspections done on this structure?
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 09-07-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #3

Pool Cement Apron Issue

Yes. The damage is getting worse and I have had 2 other companies tell me that it was not due to the egg rock, but rather the lack of tamping to the soil. I was told that it would cost around 9000.00 to repair, money that I do not have.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #4

Pool Cement Apron Issue

I have filed suit against the pool company for poor workmanship and in the answer the pool company states that the rock was and is the problem, but the concrete is moving on the entire high side.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #5

Pool Cement Apron Issue

The first thing I would do is seal the area between the coping and the concrete to stop the infiltration of water.

I do not know the name of the material that is used but I know high end pool stores sell it it .. it's a mix that you use to make a slush then pour it down the cracks it hardens but is still flexible for contraction and expansion.

You might have to fill the opening with sand or some other material before proceeding if the opening is to large.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #6

Pool Cement Apron Issue

So in your opinion do you think my lawsuit has merit? I dont have 9000.00 to repair this.

Thanks,

Allen
Old 09-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #7

Pool Cement Apron Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdevoll View Post
So in your opinion do you think my lawsuit has merit? I dont have 9000.00 to repair this.

Thanks,

Allen
What did your lawyer say ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Pool Cement Apron Issue

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, there's no way anyone here can give you any educated advice about your situation w/o pictures, at a very minimum.

And certainly can't give you reliable legal advice.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote