Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #1

Share |

Polyurethane Crack Injections

I have a crack in my poured concrete foundation that has been allowing water to trickle into my basement only during times of heavy rain or melting. We've finally decided to get it fixed. A company that we had come to look at it, wants to fill the crack with a "Polyurethane Epoxy Injection". Cost is about 1/4 of what another company wants to charge to dig down on the outside and fix it with a more traditional method.
My question is: Is anyone familiar with the Polyurethane Injection? Is it a good method or would you steer clear of it.
Thank you.

Harbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #2

I have had a couple of craks fixed. The best method really depends on if you can access the crack from the inside. There are 2 basic methods. From the outside, dig down to the foundation with a post hole diger and fil the hole with betonite. That is all they do. You are really paying for a quarantee that they will come back and redo it if needed. The betonite swells when watter hits it and prevents it from getting tothe crack. Some people will also fill the crack with some type of sealer but it is not really needed. From the inside if the wall is accesible, a epoxy/urethane injection method is common. Hereis a link to a company I used in my area. http://seepage.com/services/#foundation-crack-repair

The way they do it is they charge a single fee to fix and guarantee the crack for life. They did the clay method. If that ever leaks they will come back and redo it from the inside but I will have to open up the drywall to give them access. The guy charging 25% is probably just underbidding the other guy and it has nothing to do with one method or the other. It will only take them about an hour to fix it either way. Do some research on each company to see how well they stand behind their work, years in business, etc. In my area a typical crack repair from the bigger more reputable companies will cost $400. Good luck.

beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:15 AM   #3

we've used bentonite & injectable hydrophyllic / hydrophobic mtls,,, depending on access, i'll take injectable both times,,, liquid bentonite was used by inserting a delivery pipe into the soil & pumping mtl into the soil as the pipe's removed,,, another method's excavation & patch w/asphaltic mtls protect'd by pvc dimpleboard,,, the latter's easily a diy project.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #4

Which is preferred, epoxy or urethane ? There is a vertical crack about 1/4-3/8 wide (widest pint slight more than 3/8 ) running from botton to top of the 8 foot poured wall in the basment of my 30 year old house . Apparently the, the previous owner filler filled it with silicone but there appers to be some seepage (staining ). I am getting read to finish the basment so I want to make the proper repair ).

BTW I am look at one of these kits or something similar -

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr...ack_injection/

Last edited by rkpatt; 02-13-2009 at 12:13 PM.
rkpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #5

just my $.03 but i prefer hydrophyllic polyurethane,,, altho we'd normally use 5gal pails & a speedyflo pump, we will use a plews grease gun if the situation calls for it,,, we also use ' butter ' the crk prior to flushing w/water after which we inject w/lo-pressure,,, have used emecole & they're fine products,,, the stuff's avail in smaller quanties most places.

the problem's this work always looks easier on websites & hgtv than it does in ' real-time '.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote