Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #1

Share |

Polymer Wall System vs vinyl siding vs Dryvit

The wood siding on my house needs to go. I am widowed and no longer care to repaint every few years. I was approached by a Polymer Wall System salesman and wish to make a wise decision on how to go.

A few weeks ago, I asked a vinyl salesman to leave my home as I could see there are different qualities of material out there and he was selling the cheapest. Although price is a factor....long lasting quality is the main thing I am looking for.

Of the three materials listed in my title, can anyone give me good advice as to the differences and what I should look for?

Thanks

nofarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #2

How did you know what he was selling was the cheapest?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #3

I have since called several past customers, compared the weight of the samples he had shown me with those at hardware stores and watched a couple of videos on siding. It appeared that the price was one of "lets make a deal" with the cost going up or down by several thousands of dollars depending on who he was dealing with.

When I looked at one job, the siding was falling off after only a year, others could be moved with the slightest pressure as compared to the house next door done by another contractor.

Therefore, I "suspect" it might not have been the best value. We certainly would not have parted friends had I hired him.
nofarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #4

I will suggest a few to stay away from, Sears, Lowes and Home Depot.
They hire subs to do there work and from what I have seen there prices are out of sight.
Just about any licenced contractor has the tools and know how to install vinly siding.
Any real lumber yard should be able to help you find someone they trust.

Just so you know siding has to be able to move from side to side, and is never nailed tight to the wall, it's hung on the wall. To tight and it buckles.

Do not go any thinner then .042 thick, siding goes by thickness not weight.

It's rare around here to see anyone selling any of those so called liquid siding products. To many law suites from blistering.
Just make sure to get more then just one price, take the time to go check some of there past jobs, and make the calls.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #5

Dryvit is a California stucco product. We call it a California stucco product here in CO. Many newer homes have used it.
The uses I have seen were done by covering the siding (or just the exterior of the new structure) with EPS foam, then stucco mesh, then the Dryvit. My involvement was usually due to the finished job being poked through by Flicker woodpeckers. This happened when the mesh and Dryvit were at minimum thickness. Structures with a thicker coat did not get poked through.

Some contractors go with the thinnest coat of Dryvit. This may work in CA, but not as well here in CO. I would use leftover Dryvit, which the owners usually got a couple gallons after the job was completed to repair the woodpecker holes. Dryvit can be ordered using a color chart. It seems to last longer than most siding, and can be patched.

I don't know about a polymer coating.
gobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #6

Synthetic stucco (Dryvit, Sto etc), can work well if installed correctly. Contact manufacturers directly for licensed contractors, and inquire about drainage systems, proper caulk joints (backer rod, not fillet), and expansion/ control joints. I've had Dryvit installed on the second floor of my home for 17 yrs. A properly installed system is trouble free, and adds r value. A poorly installed system is a nightmare.

jmagg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dryvit, polymer wall systems, siding choices, siding problems, vinyl siding