Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Is this pole load bearing?

Hi, as shown in the pictures I have a pole in my kitchen that has a table built around it. My wife would like to remove it to make room for a nicer table and to move things around. I have a feeling it is load bearing since there is no other visible support for the ceiling joist other than the wall behind it leading into the living room and the outside walls. It was in the original blueprints with a table built around it. I don't know how to read blueprints that well so I am not sure if there is some symbol on the prints to indicate that it is a weight bearing pole. If it is, is there some work around so that it can be removed. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.......Also, before you ask, my wife has not danced on the pole for me. Every man that comes to our house ask that question.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this pole load bearing?-dsc02117-001.jpg   Is this pole load bearing?-dsc02120-001.jpg  

borocay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

I am guessing that this structure is a double wide manufactured home. As for that pole, how did they get that table on it? You will have to take the base off to look at the bottom of the pole, and as for the top, you are going to have to do the same.

Can you post a picture looking the other direction, than how the angle is in the first picture, along with a picture from outside facing the window in the second picture.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I am guessing that this structure is a double wide manufactured home. As for that pole, how did they get that table on it? You will have to take the base off to look at the bottom of the pole, and as for the top, you are going to have to do the same.

Can you post a picture looking the other direction, than how the angle is in the first picture, along with a picture from outside facing the window in the second picture.
Thanks for responding. No this is a home built in 1959 or 1960. From what I can tell the table was cut in half and then reattached after the section for the pole was cut out. It is supported underneath by small L-brackets. The beam at the top does run the length of the house and comes out on exterior of the house about a foot or so on both the front and the back. I've included some pictures of the house.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

My guess is that it was placed there for a reason, which probably means that it is holding the beam at that point. If you are really wanting to be sure, find a engineer or General contractor that is familiar with that model of home and have them look first hand. Better than just asking some strangers on a Internet forum, even though we have some homes like yours in my town.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

You'll need a structual engineer to tell you if it's load bearing or not,don't take anybody else's word for it.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
You'll need a structual engineer to tell you if it's load bearing or not,don't take anybody else's word for it.
No you don't.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Jay 78 (05-23-2012), oh'mike (05-22-2012), sixeightten (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Cruising into the sunset

Is that a steel column wrapped with wood veneer?
Is it a solid wood post?
If so, what type of wood is it?
Can you access the top and see what sits on it?
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #8

I think it's safe to say that pole wasn't put their for aesthetic reasons. I would assume it's serving a structural role. Removing it should not be a problem as long as you replace it with some other type of column.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
No you don't.

Unless you want to take the chance of it coming down around you!!
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #10

I guess I will have a structural engineer look at it. The pole is made out of steel with wood veneer type stuff wrapped around it, so it was meant to support something. Probably the roof. I know my options are limited since there is not much else that I know of that can be placed in that area to support the roof.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
Cruising into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by borocay View Post
The pole is made out of steel with wood veneer type stuff wrapped around it
Then it's structural. If you remove it you will need a beam that spans to the outer points of where the structural beams are presently going. That beam will be considerably larger than the existing ones and you'll need additional support at each end of the new beam.

Another option is to relocate the column. Whatever you decide to do, unless you leave things as they are, you'll need a certified engineer and an experienced contractor to do the work.
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
No you don't.
Actually you turned out to be right, he doesn't need a structural engineer to tell him its structural, he just told us it was structural by telling us it was steel.

If he wants to move/remove it then he will need an engineer.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

OP you said you have the as built blueprints with changes noted? Share those with the architect or structural engineer.

You will need new stamped drawings, permits, signoffs, and inspections if you change structure. Your design pro can navigate that for you.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #14

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 14

That "pole" is not a structural element, but it serves a very valuable structural purpose from a design load standpoint in this structure.

With a roof with such a low slope, there is a tendency for the beams (supported on one end by the center beam) to push the walls outward and center beam to deflect down.

By putting in a support near the middle of the center beam, you eliminate/minimize the vertical deflection of the center beam and the tendency to push the tops of the external walls out. This is a typical case where the span tables work for vertical "canned" solution, but buildings and members deflect even though they are strong enough.

A trussed roof with a greater roof slope would not put an outward thrust on the exterior walls. Another solution is to run something between the opposing exterior walls to hold things together and minimize cracking.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry
That "pole" is not a structural element, but it serves a very valuable structural purpose from a design load standpoint in this structure.
Curious. What is the distinction? What makes it NOT a structural element?

Last edited by cortell; 05-23-2012 at 09:53 AM.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote