Pole Barn Truss Braces - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 35

Pole barn truss braces

My 30x40 pole barn was already on the property when I bought it and I'm wondering about these 2x6 braces as shown in the link below. Unless I'm looking at them wrong I can't imagine they are transferring load to the post from the truss so I'm guessing they are only there to keep the truss sitting on the notch. They are located on every post. This makes me wonder if they were added after the fact.

If these are not carrying load to the post, would they be better off bolted through or replaced with clips?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0A...it?usp=sharing

Advertisement

rich_kildow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

Pole barn truss braces

That's some real funky framing you have there.
Looks like a poor way to help stop the building from racking and to also help with wind up lift.
I would have built it more like this.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=40

It does look like they where add after the fact. They should have cut at an angle on the ends and through bolted.

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 514

Pole barn truss braces

We recently built a 30x40 pole barn and were told that detail is now code here (Ohio). I could see it on a barn with metal siding and/or roofing, but ours was completely sheathed. Code says they need to be at least a 2x6 on every post.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 35

Pole barn truss braces

It does have metal siding and roof. So it sounds like it might be code but looks funky, which is enough for me to not mess with it.
rich_kildow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Pole barn truss braces

I can't get the picture to load
PoleBarnsNY is offline   Reply With Quote