Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Pole Barn

I have a Metal Pole Barn that was wrapped with a type of Insulation that has reflective materal facing the steel and a Bubble Wrap (Plastic?). My problem is, I installed Gas Vent Free Heaters this winter and I have Water at times dripping down the walls. What can I do to stop this from happening?

johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Pole Barn

Buy a dehumidifyer from Lowes or HD. They run about $100 for a good one run it 24/7 and empty the bucket or run a small drain hose. They have a float switch so they will not over flow.

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Pole Barn

Thanks for the reply, I have already installed a dehumidfider and it did help a lot. My equipment in the shop seems to be staying dry. However you can see the walls and wood rails are staying wet. I do not have inside walls yet and I am worryed that installing more insulation and then adding drywall I might keep the mositure inside the wall. Any thoughts??
thanks
johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Pole Barn

I know this is more of a question than an answer, but thought it might help.

It's cold outside so when you heat the inside so the metal is sweating like a cold glass of water does. I'm wondering if you took that cold glass of water and wrapped it with some r-13 would it still sweat? So on that note I wonder if you beef up the insulation on your barn and tape the joints so the warm air can't get to the metal would that help?

I rented a warehouse one time and used it to paint a couple of cars. It was a metal building sitting on a concrete slab and had fiberglass insulation with white plastic on the inside. There were two panels in the ceiling that were clear plastic, I guess to let light in during the day. I heated the area with a forced air ready heater and the two clear panels are the only thing I remember sweating. It was about ten years ago and I didn't pay much attention to if it was sweating under the insulation or not.

Wish I could be of more help, just wanted to share my thoughts.
kjwoodworking is offline   Reply With Quote