Pocket Door Help - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

pocket door help

I recently installed a pocket door where an existing door was. This is an old house with interior plaster walls, the wall framing is off in several walls.

I followed the johnson instructions- connected the header in between the existing 2x4, made sure everything was level and hanged the door. For some reason the door is not in the center of the encasing and the door is hitting the casing. Also the door does not end up at the center of the opposite end, where I am placing the door lock. As of now I have one wall still open and pulled on the vertical metal studs and the door is not hitting, but now there is an unevern gap where the door ends and where the trimming needs to be place, one side of the trim is one size and the other side is another.
Most intructions on pocket doors is for adjusting the rollers so the door is even vertiically with the jam, I have not found info when the door don't hang straight from the header to the floor.

I have installed several pocket doors and never encounter this problem. Any help would ve appreciated.

I am also changing all the interior doors and they are all off and cutin alll four sides to fit the bad framing, Probably the best way I though is to removed the entire casing and put pre hang doors- except that the wall with the plaster comes to around 5 1/2 inches and standard pre hung door jam is 41/2. Purchading the 5 1/2 jams cost a fortune, any tips?

Advertisement

Last edited by samuel11; 08-08-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling
samuel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

pocket door help

Is the wall you are installing the pocket door into perfectly plumb?

Is the door off center through it's entire height or just at the bottom, or top?

A picture would help.

Advertisement

Last edited by fabrk8r; 08-08-2010 at 04:05 PM.
fabrk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #3

pocket door help

I don't think the wall is plump- I will get some pictures; I am trying to help my daughter and her husband fix this old house. I'll get more details soon. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

pocket door help

Put a 4 foot level on the wall and make sure it is vertical (plumb).

If it is not plumb (within reason) you will have problems with a pocket door rubbing on the framing.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #5

pocket door help

Thank you, I will be heading o my daughters tomorrow and check the wall with the level, hopefully it is.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #6

pocket door help

I WAS FINALLY ABLE TO GO TO MY DAUGHTERS. tHE WALL WAS NOT PLUMP AND AND ALSO THE RECEIVING WALL IS I/2 OFF. I don't know what to do, the walls are platered so they made up the misaligments on the walls.
I'll try to pots the photos.

However, we noew have another problem, in order to put the sliding door, we cut the toilet vent thinkt we could put another one in the outside wall- once we open the floor we discovered it is more than what we know. We called several plumbers and they want a fortune and it seems they are not sure what to do either. I will post the pictures and skecht in the plumbing forum and see if anyone has ideas.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
pocket door help-dscf0371.jpg   pocket door help-dscf0372.jpg   pocket door help-dscf0373.jpg   pocket door help-dscf0375.jpg   pocket door help-dscf0377.jpg  

pocket door help-dscf0386.jpg  
Old 08-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,204

pocket door help

I am almost finished building my own log home. Every interior door is a pocket door. Trust me, if your walls are not plumb within 1/4" or so, a pocket door will never work.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #8

pocket door help

I hear you, I may need to go back to the regular door. I am trying to see if I can get a vent from the side to the outdoor wall of the wall on the right, otherwise, the pocket door is off.

Advertisement