Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

plywood sub-floor 2' OC?

i'm faced with a decision:

existing 5/4" pine flooring (no sub-floor). half the room is decent but the boards have gaps between that have been caulked, or some kind of gasket. other half of the room has another layer of fir flooring on top that would be ripped out, expose a bunch of nail holes, etc... or go over this stuff again with new t&g pine.

what i'd like to do is rip out all the flooring down to the joists, new 3/4" t&g plywood, new 3/4" t&g pine flooring.

the joists are on 2' centers. would the plywood be rigid enough here? i don't want to get into redoing all the joists, sistering, girders, etc...
i'm pretty sure 24" is the max span per code; i'm just not sure about the deflection.

in the end it would be much easier to rip everything out and start fresh, assuming i can get away with the new subfloor 24" OC.

thanks.

Last edited by wombosi; 11-29-2010 at 08:34 PM.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

plywood sub-floor 2' OC?

I don't know, but if you can't get a definitive answer, why not use thicker plywood? Or, run blocking between the joists every 2-4'. I'd GUESS that a 2x4 every 4' as blocking would suffice. Mock one up and try it out. Have someone do jumping jacks above and see/hear what the floor does.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
STRUCTURAL

Rewards Points: 25

plywood sub-floor 2' OC?

You mention pine flooring, then the joist spacing is too big for 3/4" plywood subfloor. Putting down a 1.125" plywood subfloor would be better.

Another way of doing it is adding floor joists between existing ones (now they will be spaced 12" on center) and then you could use the 3/4" T&G plywood subfloor and pine flooring on top..

If you had carpet flooring 2 feet joist spacing and 3/4" subfloor would work.
ENGINEER10 is offline   Reply With Quote