Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #1

Share |

Plywood for ceiling?

We have a large (756 sq ft) enclosed sunroom which had to have the ceiling removed after a roof leak. We want to replace the ceiling, but my husband is not in good health and between us we cannot lift sheetrock. It occured to me that plywood is lighter and wouldn't require taping etc. Is there any reason why a ceiling should not be made from plywood, and painted with regular textured ceiling paint?
Thank you,
CG

Last edited by cre8nrg; 03-14-2006 at 05:17 PM.
cre8nrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:59 AM   #2

Plywood for ceiling?

how about a nice painted beadboard?

RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:54 PM   #3

Plywood for ceiling?

did you get a quote on how much it would cost to have someone put up sheetrock up for you. That might be the way to go.
farrington135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:11 AM   #4

Plywood for ceiling?

You can put almost anything up there but here is a few idea's for you. You can rent a Drywall lift for getting sheet goods up to the ceiling. I have used them for drywall and plywood.The trick is getting the sheets on the lift but you can set up some saw horses that are a little bit higher than the holding prongs on the lift and have the delivery guys put them up there for you.Then all you do is set up the lift and wheel it over to the stack and your off to the races.
In case you haven't seen one of these lifts they consist of a base with wheels, a center colum with a big wheel and pully system and a top bar which has extention bars that pull out for longer sheets and two flip down arms. When it is set up (only takes a minute) the top part can either be horizontal or verticle. You put it in the verticle position and flip the arms down and wheel it over to the sheets. Make sure the arms will catch the sheet as you wind it up. Once you have ingaged the bottom of the sheets you then just tilt the sheet so its completely on the lift and wheel it over to where you want to put it up then crank it up a little and flip it horizontaly and then crank it up and fit the sheet and your ready for fasteners.
These are sweet machines and are a piece of cake to use for almost anyone. Just stop by rental place and they will show you.
Weither your drywalling or useing plywood you could make a false beam efect by useing 1x4 or 2x4 . If you plan your install carefully so every thing looks even just put these up and you won't have to worry about seams.
Hope this wasn't to long.
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #5

Plywood for ceiling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8nrg
We have a large (756 sq ft) enclosed sunroom which had to have the ceiling removed after a roof leak. We want to replace the ceiling, but my husband is not in good health and between us we cannot lift sheetrock. It occured to me that plywood is lighter and wouldn't require taping etc. Is there any reason why a ceiling should not be made from plywood, and painted with regular textured ceiling paint?
Thank you,
CG
I do and have done plywood celings for a number of different reasons. 3/8 ac works pretty good. At one point I was getting 3/8 superplywood with a luan face. I generally put battens, (1x4's) over the joints and then continue with the battens to make a block panel design. Once the blocks are up a creative painter can do some cool things with flats and semigloss'.
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:33 AM   #6

Plywood for ceiling?

We used Armstrong ceiling planks in our basement. It was very easy and light to use. The best part is you donít have not sheet rock dust deal with or painting to do. And it looks great!!
diynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:51 PM   #7

Plywood for ceiling?

Thank you for all the replies and ideas. I liked the idea of the Armstrong planks, but they don't seem to be available. Checked Lowes and Home Depot and they all say unavailable. I did get a quote for installing the sheetrock, and it was beyond my budget. I am going to get the plywood, and follow your tips for installation.
Thanks again.
cre8nrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #8

Plywood for ceiling?

If you are not in good health you should not even consider working above your head. Your doctor will expain it to you. Increase your budget and have someone do it for you. Find somewhere else to save the money. Never bargain with your health.
mighty anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #9

Plywood for ceiling?

I'm surprised noone mentioned possibly just renting a drywall lift.. unless I misunderstood something. That makes holding sheets of drywall flat against a ceiling surface a breeze. If you're able enough to set a sheet of drywall or sheetrock or whatever onto the lift, then flip it back horizontal then crank on a handle, it will lift 'er right up there, to be casually screwed into place. Home Depot / Lowes can rent them out now.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:16 PM   #10
Construction Junkie

Red face

Plywood for ceiling?

Let's be sensible. Your health should preclude you from doing anything this heavy. Your budget precludes you from having it done. So...you should call for help. Ask your child, ask your neighbors, ask your church, ask United Way about their annual Lend-A-Hand day or whatever they call it (where tons of local volunteers sign up to help people fix their houses). My experience is that there are so many people who want to lend a hand yet don't know that our own neighbors need us. And we're always just too hesitant to ask for help when we need it. I wish you would. My two cents.
sharisavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:02 AM   #11
Construction Junkie

Plywood for ceiling?

Also, in most cities the Realtors have a day where they gather to help seniors (I don't know your age) with home repairs. So if you think you might qualify, contact your local Association of Realtors. Additionally, the Lions Club or Rotary often has project days. Best of luck !

sharisavage is offline   Reply With Quote