Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Plumbing a Window

If a wall is not plumb, how do you plumb the window? I am not sure how to do this with shims because as soon as you nail through the nail fins, the will go right back to out of plumb correct?

sandyman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Plumbing a Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyman720 View Post
If a wall is not plumb, how do you plumb the window? I am not sure how to do this with shims because as soon as you nail through the nail fins, the will go right back to out of plumb correct?
That depends on the plumb that you are referring to. It sounds like you mean Plumb in the sense of how the window nailing fins or flanges lay on the exterior sheathing of the home. If that is the plumb you are referring to...you are really better off just installing the window flat against the "non-plumb" sheathing surface - so as to avoid water penetration issues.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:09 PM   #3

Plumbing a Window

Thanks Atlantic. That is what I thought so I went ahead and did it.

Not too bad for a 1st time huh?

http://public.fotki.com/rdsandy/matt.../p1040061.html
Old 08-16-2007, 06:11 AM   #4

Plumbing a Window

Looks very good. I can see that you still are going to be installing your tyvek flashing above the windows too.

Only thing that I noticed is that your tyvek housewrap is installed upside down.

The name "TYVEK" is upside down.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #5

Plumbing a Window

Hi,

The Tyvek above the window is already installed I am not sure what you are saying?

DuPont says it dosent matter which way the Tyvek is installed. Do you think different or are you just busing my chops?!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
remodeling pro

Plumbing a Window

Quote:
Hi,

The Tyvek above the window is already installed I am not sure what you are saying?

DuPont says it dosent matter which way the Tyvek is installed. Do you think different or are you just busing my chops?!
That is from the technical people. The marketing people definately want you to install it so the name is most easily read .

About the wrap above the window, I believe Atlantic sees that row of dots across the top of the window that looks like the heads of roofing nails through the nailing fin (my impression also). The wrap should have been cut at the top of the window opening so that the top flange could be slipped behind it to provide a positive drainage to the outside. If the window flange is on top of the wrap, water can run down it and seep behind the window flange.In this case, slit the wrap horizontally about 10" to 12" above the window and a few inches wider than the window, slip a piece of wrap under the existing wall wrap and on top of the window flange. Use Tyveck tape to seal the cut. Looks good.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:13 AM   #7

Plumbing a Window

Quote:
Hi,

....DuPont says it dosent matter which way the Tyvek is installed. Do you think different or are you just busing my chops?!
I'm just busting your chops about the lettering being upside down....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-19-2007 at 06:16 AM.